|John L. Swigert, Jr.|
|Member-elect of the United States House of Representatives from |
Colorado's 6th district
November 2, 1982 – December 27, 1982
|Succeeded by||Daniel Schaefer|
|Born||August 30, 1931|
Denver, Colorado, U.S.
|Died||December 27, 1982 (aged 51)|
Washington D.C., U.S.
|Resting place||Mount Olivet Cemetery,|
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
|Parents||John L. Swigert, M.D.|
|Alma mater||University of Colorado,|
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, M.S. 1965
University of Hartford,
|Occupation||Fighter pilot, test pilot|
|Service/branch||U.S. Air Force (1953–1956)|
MA ANG (1957–1960)
CT ANG (1960–1965)
|Years of service||1953–1965|
John Leonard "Jack" Swigert, Jr. (August 30, 1931 – December 27, 1982) was an American test pilot, mechanical engineer, aerospace engineer, United States Air Force pilot, and NASA astronaut, one of the 24 persons who have flown to the Moon. After leaving NASA, he was elected to Congress from Colorado's new 6th district, but died before being sworn in.
References[change | change source]
- "Ex-astronaut gets eulogized". Victoria Advocate. Associated Press. January 5, 1983. p. 10D.
- Eicher, Diane (December 19, 1982). "Ex-astronaut's challenge". Beaver County Times. (Denver Post). p. B2.
- Treaster, Joseph B. (December 29, 1982). "Jack Swigert, astronaut elected to Congress, dies". New York Times. Retrieved September 14, 2014.
- "Jack Swigert loses fight against cancer". Ocala Star-Banner. Associated Press. Dec 28, 1982. p. 4D.
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Jack Swigert at Wikimedia Commons
- Official NASA biography
- Astronautix biography of John L. Swigert, Jr.
- Spacefacts biography of John L. Swigert, Jr.
- Swigert at Spaceacts
- Swigert at Encyclopedia of Science
- About Jack Swigert
- Congressional Quarterly's Guide to U.S. Elections
- Jack Swigert at the Internet Movie Database
- Swigert at International Space Hall of Fame
- John L. "Jack" Swigert, Jr., Award for Space Exploration
- America Space: Jack Swigert
- John Leonard "Jack" Swigert, Jr at Find a Grave