Gyllenhaal attending the premiere of Proof.
Jacob Benjamin Gyllenhaal
December 19, 1980
Naomi Foner Gylllenhaal
|Relatives||Maggie Gyllenhaal (sister)|
Jacob Benjamin Gyllenhaal (born December 19, 1980) is an Academy Award-nominated American actor. He has appeared in diverse roles since his first lead role in 1999's October Sky, followed by the 2001 cult hit Donnie Darko, in which he played a psychologically troubled teen and onscreen brother to his real-life sister, actress Maggie Gyllenhaal. In the 2004 blockbuster The Day After Tomorrow he portrayed a student caught in a cataclysmic global cooling event, alongside Dennis Quaid as his father. He then played against type as a frustrated Marine in Jarhead (2005). The same year, he won critical acclaim portraying a role that entered popular shorthand as a "gay cowboy" in the controversial but highly acclaimed film Brokeback Mountain.
Early life[change | change source]
His mother is screenwriter Naomi Foner. His father is director Stephen Gyllenhaal, who was raised as a Swedenborgian, is of Swedish and English descent, and is a descendant of the Swedish noble Gyllenhaal family. Jake's last ancestor to be born in Sweden was his great-great-grandfather, Anders Leonard Gyllenhaal. Jake's mother is Jewish; she was born in New York City, to a family from Russia and Poland. Gyllenhaal has said that he considers himself Jewish. Gyllenhaal began acting at 11 years old.
Filmography[change | change source]
|1991||City Slickers||Danny Robbins|
|1993||Josh and S.A.M.||Leon|
|1999||October Sky||Homer Hickam Jr.|
|2001||Donnie Darko||Donald J. "Donnie" Darko|
|Bubble Boy||Jimmy Livingston|
|Lovely & Amazing||Jordan|
|Moonlight Mile||Joe Nast|
|The Good Girl||Thomas 'Holden' Worther|
|2003||Abby Singer||Himself (cameo)|
|2004||The Day After Tomorrow||Sam Hall|
|2005||Brokeback Mountain||Jack Twist|
|Jarhead||Anthony Swofford ("Swoff")|
|Proof||Harold 'Hal' Dobbs|
|2009||Untitled Moon Project|||
Awards[change | change source]
|2002||Young Hollywood Awards||Breakthrough Performance - Male||Won|
|Independent Spirit Awards||Best Male Lead||Nominated||Donnie Darko|
|2003||Chlotrudis Awards||Best Actor||Won|
|DVD Exclusive Awards||DVD Premiere Award, Best Actor||Nominated||Highway|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Movie Breakout Star - Male||Nominated||The Good Girl|
|2005||National Board of Review||Best Supporting Actor||Won||Brokeback Mountain|
|2006||MTV Movie Awards||Best Performance||Won|
|Screen Actors Guild||Best Supporting Actor||Nominated|
|Critics' Choice Award||Best Supporting Actor||Nominated|
|BAFTA||Best Supporting Actor||Won|
|Academy Awards||Best Supporting Actor||Nominated|
|Satellite Awards||Outstanding Supporting Actor||Nominated|
|Outstanding Lead Actor||Nominated||Jarhead|
|National Arts Awards||Young Artist Award for Artistic Excellence||Won|
References[change | change source]
- Pronounced JILL-en-hall 'dʒɪlənhɑl.
- Roger Ebert (2005-12-16). "Brokeback Mountain". RogerEbert.com. Retrieved 2007-09-02. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Scott Bowles (2006-01-09). "'Brokeback' defies gay cowboy label". USA Today. Retrieved 2007-09-02. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Stated on Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates, Jr., PBS, April 22, 2012
- "The Gyllenhaal Family Tree Project: Obituary of Anders Leonard Gyllenhaal". Gyllenhaal.org. July 9, 2000. Retrieved September 6, 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Bloom, Nate (June 11, 2004) Rootsweb.com. Retrieved September 19, 2006.
- "Jews in the News:Sarah Michelle Gellar, Julianne Margulies and Jake Gyllenh". jewishtampa.com. Tampa Jewish Community Center & Federation. October 3, 2013.
- "Jake Gyllenhall Interview – Prince of Persia". ugo.com.
- "Jake Gyllenhaal Filmography". IMDb. Retrieved 2007-11-11. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "National Arts Awards". ArtsUSA.org. Archived from the original on 2007-11-08. Retrieved 2007-11-11. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jake Gyllenhaal.|
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Jake Gyllenhaal|