James Burke (gangster)
James 'Jimmy the Gent' Burke (July 5, 1931 New York City – April 13, 1996 Buffalo, New York), was an Irish-American gangster. He was known for burying people he had murdered. In 2013 the FBI dug up the basement and garden of his old home searching for more human remains. Burke died of cancer in prison in Buffalo.
Personal life[change | change source]
He is the father of small-time mobster Frankie Burke, Jesse James Burke, and Catherine Burke Catherine married Anthony Indelicato, another criminal, in 1992. Burke was nicknamed The Big Irishman or The Irish Guinea. Jimmy Conway, a character in the movie Goodfellas and played by Robert DeNiro is based on Burke.
References[change | change source]
- NYTimes.com: James (Jimmy the Gent) Burke, Gangster, 64, of 'Wiseguy' Fame - NYTimes.com, accessdate: February 19, 2016
- Walker, Tim (20 June 2013). "FBI finds possible human remains at former home of late gangster James Burke - the man who inspired Goodfellas". The Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/fbi-finds-possible-human-remains-at-former-home-of-late-gangster-james-burke-the-man-who-inspired-8665712.html. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- Hobbs, Dick (29 April 1996). "Obituary: Jimmy Burke". The Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/obituary-jimmy-burke-1307376.html. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "Human remains found in basement of house that belonged to real-life DeNiro character Jimmy Burke". Daily Mail. 19 June 2013. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2343539/Human-remains-basement-house-belonged-real-life-De-Niro-character-Jimmy-Burke.html. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- Telegraph: Goodfella Henry Hill still living in hiding 20 years after film release - Telegraph, accessdate: February 19, 2016