Herman at the White House for the 2010 Kennedy Center Honors
Gerald Sheldon Herman
July 10, 1931
|Died||December 26, 2019 (aged 88)|
|Monuments||Jerry Herman Ring Theatre, U. Miami|
|Partner(s)||Martin Finkelstein (d. 1989)|
Gerald Sheldon Herman (July 10, 1931 – December 26, 2019) was an American composer and lyricist. He was known for his work in Broadway musical theater. He composed the scores for the hit Broadway musicals Hello, Dolly!, Mame, and La Cage aux Folles.
He was nominated for the Tony Award five times, and won twice, for Hello, Dolly! and La Cage aux Folles. He won a Grammy Award in 1965. In 2009, Herman received the Tony Award for Lifetime Achievement in the Theatre. He was a recipient of the 2010 Kennedy Center Honors.
References[change | change source]
- WEINRAUB, BERNARD (July 26, 1998). "Celebrating His Music And Precious Life Itself". New York Times. Theater. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- Ten-Tronck, Rob. Celebrity Locator 2006-2007. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "History of the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre". University of Miami. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
"Jerry Herman Biography". IMDb. Retrieved 2012-12-05.
University of Miami (Bachelor of Arts) and the Parsons School of Design
- "Jerry Herman recalls Eydie Gorme". Miami Herald. La vida local. August 14, 2013. Retrieved 2012-12-05.
...Herman, 82, of Miami Beach...
- "Kennedy Center 2010 Honorees Announced" Archived 2010-09-10 at the Wayback Machine specials.msn.com
- Campbell, Mary. "Drug Lets Show Go On for Compose" Los Angeles Times, January 21, 1997
- Trounson, Rebecca. "Jerry Herman, composer behind “Hello, Dolly!” and “La Cage aux Folles,” dies at 88" Los Angeles Times, December 27, 2019
Other websites[change | change source]
- Jerry Herman Official Web Site.
- University of Miami's Jerry Herman Ring Theatre Official Web Site
- Jerry Herman on IMDb
- Jerry Herman at the Internet Off-Broadway Database
- Jerry Herman - Downstage Center audio interview at American Theatre Wing.
- TonyAwards.com Interview with Jerry Herman
- Jerry Herman podcast series by Sony BMG Masterworks
- Jerry Herman Gathers His Girls for a Swinging Broadway Bash People Weekly, April 21, 1986
- Ken Bloom collection of Jerry Herman memorabilia, 1955-2000, held by the Billy Rose Theatre Division, New York Public Library for the Performing Arts