Jewellery (or jewelry) refers to any clothing accessory that is worn as a decoration.
In itself, jewellery has no other purpose than to look attractive. However, it is often added to items that have a practical function. Items such as belts and handbags are mainly accessories but may be decorated. A broach, often worn to keep a cloak closed, could be highly decorated with jewels.
History[change | change source]
Humans have made jewelry for a long time. There are many forms of jewelry worn for traditional, social or religious reasons. Jewelry can come in many forms, worn on any part of the body or clothing. Jewelry most often are rings, chains, bead strings, pendants and piercings, worn around or on different body parts.
Creation[change | change source]
Fashion jewelry or costume jewelry is jewelry that is worn just for fashion, and is not made of expensive materials.
Common jewelry types[change | change source]
- Earrings, which is any jewelry worn on the ears
- Necklaces, worn aroung the neck
- Finger rings and toe rings (finger rings are usually just called "ring")
- Bracelets or bangles, worn on the wrists
- Arm rings or armlets, worn on the upper arms
- Pins or Brooches, worn on clothes for decoration or keeping clothes from undoing.
- Piercings, which is jewelry that is put through holes in the skin
Gallery[change | change source]
Related pages[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Jewellery|