José Vicente Ferrer de Otero y Cintrón (January 8, 1912 – January 26, 1992), known as José Ferrer, was a Puerto Rican actor, theatre and movie director. He was the first Puerto Rican actor, as well as the first Hispanic actor, to win an Academy Award (in 1950 for Cyrano de Bergerac). He was born in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Ferrer was married to Rosemary Clooney, aunt of George Clooney, from 1954 through 1961 and again from 1964 through 1967. They had a son, actor Miguel Ferrer. In 1985 he received the National Medal of Arts from President Ronald Reagan, becoming the first actor to receive that honor.
Ferrer died of colorectal cancer in Coral Gables, Florida on January 26, 1992, aged 80.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ Jose Ferrer (American actor) - Britannica Online Encyclopedia. Britannica.com. Retrieved on 2012-05-12.
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to José Ferrer (actor) at Wikimedia Commons
- Academy Award winning actors
- Golden Globe Award winning actors
- Tony Award winning actors
- 1912 births
- 1992 deaths
- Deaths from colorectal cancer
- Puerto Rican movie actors
- Puerto Rican television actors
- Puerto Rican stage actors
- Puerto Rican movie directors
- Actors from San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Puerto Rican movie producers