|Also known as||The Lotus Eaters (1995-1997)
Cherry Keane (1997)
|Origin||Battle, East Sussex, England|
|Genres||Piano rock, alternative rock, post-Britpop, New Wave|
|Labels||Island, Interscope, Fierce Panda|
|Associated acts||Mt. Desolation, Jesse Quin & The Mets, K'naan|
History[change | change source]
Beginning (1995 - 2003)[change | change source]
Pianist Tim Rice-Oxley and singer Tom Chaplin were friends since they were kids. Rice-Oxley's brother was born on the same day and hospital in 1979.
They studied at Vinehall School and later at Tonbridge School. There, they met the other member of the band, Richard Hughes.
Tim made the band in 1995 with his friend Dominic Scott. They named the band "The Lotus Eaters". They changed their name to "Cherry Keane" in 1997, when Chaplin entered the band. Cherry Keane was a woman who served tea at Tim and Tom's school. The name changed again to "Keane". In an interview on 2006, Rice-Oxley said that the band was called Coldplay, but he gave this name to a friend (Chris Martin, of Coldplay).
They made 2 CDs and sold at the pubs where they played. Scott left the band in 2001. Tim wrote "Everybody's Changing" for this.
In December 2002, Simon Williams of Fierce Panda went to a Keane gig in and he offered to make the band's next and first commercial single (song), "Everybody's Changing". The single was released on 2003.
Hopes and Fears (2003 - 2006)[change | change source]
After another single, in 2004, Island Records invited Keane to make a single with them. "Everybody's Changing" was made after "Somewhere Only We Know". An album was released in May and called "Hopes And Fears". The album was very successful and it was the second best-seller album of the year.
The album sold five million (5,000,000) copies. In 2006, they competed for a Grammy but they lost.
Under the Iron Sea (2006 - 2007)[change | change source]
Keane began recording their second album, "Under the Iron Sea", in 2005, with producer Andy Green.
Perfect Symmetry[change | change source]
Their third album is called Perfect Symmetry. It was released 13 October 2008 to favourable reviews.
Strangeland[change | change source]
The band's fourth album was released in May 2012 through Island Records. It went straight to No.1 in the UK Albums Chart.
Equipment list[change | change source]
This is a list of Keane's equipment.
- Yamaha CP70B Electric piano
- Yamaha CP70M Electric piano
- Rhodes Suitcase Piano
- Nord Lead 3
- Yamaha CP60M
- Fender Precision Bass
- Fender Jazz
- Yamaha CP35 Bass synthesizer
- Yamaha DX-7 synthesizer
- Hammond XK2
- Yamaha Maple Custom "Absolute Nouveau"
- Sennheiser e602s/e604s/e935s/421
- Shure Beta 57/91
- Apple PowerBook G4 Titanium
- Apple PowerMac G5
Members[change | change source]
- Tim Rice-Oxley - piano, bass, keyboards, backing singer
- Tom Chaplin - singer, live keyboards, organ
- Richard Hughes - drums
Discography[change | change source]
Singles (songs)[change | change source]
- "Call Me What You Like" (2000)
- "Wolf At The Door" (2001)
- "Everybdoy's Changing" (2003)
- "This Is The Last Time" (2003)
- "Somewhere Only We Know" (2004)
- "Everybody's Changing" (2004) (made again)
- "Bedshaped" (2004)
- "This Is the Last Time" (2004) (made again)
- "Bend and Break" (2005)
- "Atlantic" (2006)
- "Is It Any Wonder?" (2006)
- "Crystal Ball" (2006)
- "Try Again" (2007)
- "A Bad Dream" (2007)
- "The Night Sky" (2007)
- "Spiralling" (2008)
- "The Lovers Are Losing" (2008)
- "Better Than This" (2009)
Albums[change | change source]
- Hopes and Fears (2004)
- EP Live Recordings 2004 (2005) (concert album)
- Under the Iron Sea (2006)
- Keane Live 06 (concert album)
- Perfect Symmetry (2008)
Awards[change | change source]
Keane have won the following awards:
- Brit Award for New Artist
- Brit Award for Best Album
- Premios Onda for Best International Band
- Q Magazine for Best Album
- Ivor Novello for Best Composer (Tim Rice-OXley)
References[change | change source]
- "Keane finds 'perfect' balance". Chicago Tribune. 14 October 2008. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2008-10-14/news/0810140611_1_tom-chaplin-perfect-symmetry-keane.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Keane|
Sites[change | change source]
|Tim Rice-Oxley | Tom Chaplin | Richard Hughes | Dominic Scott|
|Albums: Hopes and Fears | Under the Iron Sea | Perfect Symmetry | Strangeland|
|Extended plays: EP Live Recordings 2004 | Retrospective EP1 | Night Train | Retrospective EP2|
|Singles: "Call Me What You Like" | "Wolf at the Door" | "Everybody's Changing (Part 1)" | "This Is the Last Time (Part 1)" | "Somewhere Only We Know" | "Everybody's Changing (Part 2)" | "Bedshaped" | "This Is the Last Time (Part 2)" | "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" | "Bend and Break" | "Atlantic" | "Is It Any Wonder?" | "Crystal Ball" | "Nothing in My Way" | "A Bad Dream" | "Try Again" | "The Night Sky" | "Spiralling" | "The Lovers Are Losing" | "Perfect Symmetry" | "Better Than This" | "Stop for a Minute" | "Silenced by the Night" | "Disconnected" | "Sovereign Light Café"|
|DVDs: Hopes and Fears DVD | Strangers DVD | Under the Iron Sea DVD | Keane Live | Perfect Symmetry DVD|
|Other: List of songs by Keane|