Kenneth C. Griffin
Kenneth Cordele Griffin
October 15, 1968
Daytona Beach, Florida, U.S.
|Education||Harvard University (B.A.)|
|Occupation||Hedge fund manager|
|Known for||Founder of Citadel LLC|
|Net worth||$21 billion|
|Title||CEO and Co-CIO, Citadel LLC|
Kenneth Cordele "Ken" Griffin (born October 15, 1968) is an American hedge fund manager and businessman. He is the founder, chief executive officer and Co-chief investment officer of Citadel LLC and Citadel Securities. The two businesses provide trading services to asset managers, banks, broker-dealers and hedge fund.
Early life and education[change | change source]
Mr. Griffin was born in 1968 in Daytona Beach, Florida. Griffin attended Harvard University, where he launched his first fund from his dormitory room at the age of 19. Griffin graduated in 1989 with a degree in Economics. After graduating, he moved to Chicago.
Career[change | change source]
Griffin founded Citadel, in 1990. Citadel LLC is an American multinational Hedge fund and financial services company. The company manages the capital of retirement programs, endowment programs and foundations and sovereign wealth funds. Citadel categorizes its areas of operations into distinct segments and groups their subsidiaries into three companies: Citadel the asset manager, Citadel Securities the market maker, and Citadel Technology.
Honors and awards[change | change source]
- In 2008, he was inducted into Institutional Investors Alpha's Hedge Fund Manager Hall of fame along with Jim Simons, Alfred Winslow Jones, Bruce Kovner, David Swensen, George Soros, Jack Nash, Julian Roberston, Leon Levy, Louis Bacon, Michael Steinhardt, Paul Tudor Jones, Seth Klarman and Steven A. Cohen.
- 2008, Golden Plate Award of the Academy of Achievement presented by Awards Council member Richard M. Daley, the Mayor of Chicago
- 2017, Institutional Investor's Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2017, Navy SEAL Patriot Award
References[change | change source]
- Copeland, Rob (August 3, 2015). "Citadel's Ken Griffin Leaves 2008 Tumble Far Behind". The Wall Street Journal. Dow Jones & Company. ISSN 0099-9660. Archived from the original on December 13, 2019.