Hanabiko "Koko" (July 4, 1971 – June 19, 2018) was a female western lowland gorilla. She was known for having learned a large number of hand signs from a modified version of American Sign Language (ASL). Koko was able to understand more than 1,000 signs of what Patterson calls "Gorilla Sign Language" (GSL).
References[change | change source]
- Fischer, Steven R. (1999). A History of Language. Reaktion Books. pp. 26–28. ISBN 1-86189-080-X.
- "CHECK IT OUT: Gorilla project under redesign". The Maui News. 2007-10-01. Retrieved 2008-05-26.
- Patterson, Francine (Penny), Koko's Kitten, photographs by Ron Cohn (1985)
- Jan Turner (2012-07-02). "Koko the Gorilla with Robin Williams.mp4". Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- Koko's Farewell to Mr. Rogers
- The Gorilla Foundation is sad to announce the passing of our beloved Koko
- Koko The Sign Language Gorilla Dead At 46