Lana Del Rey
Lana Del Rey
|Birth name||Elizabeth Woolridge Grant|
|Also known as|
|Born||June 21, 1985|
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Origin||Lake Placid, New York, U.S.|
Elizabeth Woolridge Grant (born June 21, 1985), known by her stage name Lana Del Rey, is an American singer and songwriter from New York. She has sold about 19.1 million albums and 13 million singles around the world. She has released six albums and four EPs since 2008.
Career[change | change source]
She released her first EP "Kill Kill" as Lizzy Grant in 2008. Two years later, she released her first studio album, titled Lana Del Ray, by 5 Points Records. However, the album was pulled three months after its release. She released her first single as Lana Del Rey, "Video Games", in August 2011. It reached number one in the singles charts in Finland, Denmark,Germany, Japan, Slovakia, Scotland, and Luxembourg. Her second album Born to Die reached number 1 in the UK Albums Chart when it was released on January 27, 2012. Born to Die was reissued on November 9, 2012 as Born to Die: The Paradise Edition, which featured eight new songs. The new songs were featured in the separate EP, Paradise. In 2013 "Young and Beautiful" was on the soundtrack to The Great Gatsby. Her third studio album, Ultraviolence, was released in 2014. A short film, Tropico, was released on the website VEVO on December 5. It has songs from her Paradise EP in it. She has also modelled for H&M.
Her fourth studio album, Honeymoon, was released on September 18, 2015.
The fifth studio album of Del Rey, Lust for Life, was released on July 21, 2017. Four singles were previously released, being "Love", title track "Lust for Life" with The Weeknd, "Summer Bummer" with ASAP Rocky and Playboi Carti, and "Groupie Love", also with ASAP Rocky.
Del Rey's sixth studio album, Norman Fucking Rockwell!, was released on August 30, 2019. The album was well-received by critics.
Personal life[change | change source]
Del Rey was born in New York City. Lana began singing in her Church choir at a young age, where she was the cantor. She was raised Catholic. When she was fifteen she was sent to Kent School, a boarding school in Connecticut, to deal with her alcoholism. When she was 18 she moved to Bronx to study metaphysics at Fordham University.
Discography[change | change source]
- Lana Del Ray (2010)
- Born to Die (2012)
- Ultraviolence (2014)
- Honeymoon (2015)
- Lust for Life (2017)
- Norman Fucking Rockwell! (2019)
- Chemtrails Over The Country Club (2021)
References[change | change source]
- Ayers, Mike. "Why Lana Del Rey's First Album Disappeared". MTV News. Retrieved 2020-05-13.
- "Musiikkituottajat - Tilastot - Suomen virallinen lista - Artistit". Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "Lana Del Rey - Video Games (SONG)". Danish Charts website. Archived from the original on 10 July 2017. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche - musicline.de". musicline.de. Archived from the original on 16 April 2014. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "SNS IFPI". Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "Official Scottish Singles Chart Top 100". Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "Lana Del Rey". Archived from the original on 12 November 2015. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "Lana Del Rey: Born to Die (The Paradise Edition)". PopMatters. 2012-11-15. Retrieved 2020-05-13.
- "Lana Del Rey says her second album will be 'spiritual'". Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- Guardian music. "Lana Del Rey announces new album title: Ultraviolence". the Guardian. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- Michael Baggs. "Lana Del Rey confirms Tropico release date on 1 December 2013". gigwise.com. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "Grammy Awards 2014: Full Nominations List". Billboard. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- Lust for Life by Lana Del Rey, 2017-07-21, retrieved 2018-11-10
- "Lana Del Rey: Norman Fucking Rockwell!". Pitchfork. Retrieved 2020-05-13.
- "Lana Del Ray - Catholic". www.beliefnet.com. Retrieved 2019-10-31.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lana Del Rey.|