A lawn is an area of land planted with grass, and sometimes clover and other plants. Lawns are cut to a low, even height using a lawnmower. Lawns are used for aesthetic (for their beauty) and recreational purposes. Other words used to describe them are turf, pitch, field or green may be used, depending on the sport and the continent.
The earliest mention of lawns comes from France during the 1500s. Lawns (as opposed to fields) found their way to England in the 1700s. One acre of lawn would take three gardeners all day to mow using a tool called a scythe. Today a garden tractor mower with a 48" cut can mow an acre in less than an hour.
Lawns around the world[change | change source]
In many parts of the United States lawn care is an important part of home maintenance. a poorly kept up lawn can hurt the value of a home. Lawns are central to family activities. Neighborhood cookouts, birthday parties and playing outdoor games are just some of the uses.
World Famous Lawns include:
- One of the most famous lawns in France surrounds the Eiffel Tower. It is part of the Champ de Mars.
- The south lawn of the White House is a world famous lawn in Washington, D.C..
- The greens of Wimbledon, London where the Wimbledon Championships are played is the only major tennis tournament played on a grass court.
- Shinjuku Gyoen in Tokyo has large areas of lawns and gardens. It has some 1,500 cherry trees.
References[change | change source]
- Paul Robbins, Lawn People: How Grasses, Weeds, and Chemicals Make Us Who We Are (Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 2007), pp. 19–21
- Paul Sikkema (March 28, 2013). "What’s The Best Lawn Tractor Deck Size For Me and My Yard?". TodaysMower.com. http://todaysmower.com/2013/whats-the-best-deck-size-for-me-and-my-yard/. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- Chris Peterson, Black & Decker The Complete Guide to a Better Lawn: How to Plant, Maintain (Minneapolis, MN: Creative Publishing International, 2011), p. 7
- "World Famous Lawns; Greenery from Around the Globe". Weed Man. 2014. http://weedmanusa.com/news/world-famous-lawns.html. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- Stephen Phelan (30 November, 2011). "Best Tokyo parks -- our pick of the top spots". CNN Travel; Cable News Network.