Length is a measurement. A ruler can measure length. The length of something is the distance between two ends of the thing. Short means a small length. Long means much length. Short and long are opposites. For two dimensional things, length is usually the longer side.
Measuring[change | change source]
- A line has one size measurement. This one measurement is the length.
- A circle has diameter, the length across, and circumference, the length around.
- A rectangle has two measurements that show its size. These two measurements are the length and the width of the rectangle.
- The length and width of a square are the same.
- A box has three measurements that show its size. These three measurements are the length, the width and the depth or height of the box.
Distance Examples[change | change source]
- The distance from the front of the bus to the back of the bus is 30 meters. The bus is 30 meters in length.
- A piece of wood is 10 meters X 10 cm X 15 cm. The piece of wood is 10 meters in length, 10 cm in breadth and 15 cm in height.
Length of Time[change | change source]
Length also describes time.
Time Example[change | change source]
John sits down at one o'clock, or 1h. John waits until three o'clock, or 3h. John stands up at three o'clock, or 3h. John was sitting for 2 hours. The length of time John was sitting was two hours.