Luis Arce Catacora
|82nd President of Bolivia|
|Assumed office |
8 November 2020
|Vice President||David Choquehuanca|
|Preceded by||Jeanine Áñez (interim)|
|Minister of Economy and Public Finance|
23 January 2019 – 10 November 2019
|Preceded by||Mario Guillén Suárez|
|Succeeded by||José Luis Parada Rivero|
23 January 2006 – 24 June 2017
|Preceded by||Waldo Gutiérrez Iriarte|
|Succeeded by||Mario Guillén Suárez|
Luis Alberto Arce Catacora
28 September 1963
La Paz, Bolivia
|Spouse(s)||Lourdes Brigida Durán Romero|
|Alma mater||Higher University of San Andrés|
University of Warwick
In January 2020, he was elected candidate for the presidency of Bolivia for the October 2020 national elections by the Movimiento al Socialismo (MAS) party, along with former chancellor David Choquehuanca as a candidate for vice presidency. The elections happened in October 18, 2020 and according the country's election commission, Arce was elected president with an absolute majority of 55.1%.
Minister of Economy[change | change source]
On January 23, 2006, Arce was chosen by President Evo Morales to be Minister of Finance. Three years later, in 2009, he took charge of the new Ministry of Economy and Public Finance. Arce watch over the nationalization of hydrocarbon, telecommunications and mining companies in Bolivia. During his ministry, Bolivian GDP increased by 344% and extreme poorness dropped from 38% to 15%.
Presidency[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Luis Arce.|
- "Bolivia election: Evo Morales's leftwing party celebrates stunning comeback". The Guardian. 19 October 2020. Retrieved 19 October 2020.
- "Quién es Luis Arce, el presidente electo de Bolivia". El Cronista (in Spanish). Retrieved 2020-10-26.
- Anonym. "Bolivia published the results of the presidential elections | tellerreport.com". www.tellerreport.com. Retrieved 2020-10-26.
- Molina, Fernando (2020-10-23). "El escrutinio oficial en Bolivia confirma la victoria de Luis Arce con el 55,1% de los votos". EL PAÍS (in Spanish). Retrieved 2020-10-26.
- "Economía y finanzas - El milagro económico de Bolivia". RFI. 2015-07-01. Retrieved 2020-11-02.
- Staff, Reuters (2020-10-19). "PERFIL-Arce, el padre del "milagro boliviano" que devuelve el socialismo al poder". Reuters (in French). Archived from the original on 2020-10-27. Retrieved 2020-11-02.
- Lazcano, Miguel (2019-10-08). "Bolivia redujo a mayor ritmo la pobreza extrema". La Razón. Archived from the original on 2020-01-26. Retrieved 2020-01-26.
- "Bolivia cambia su política exterior retomando relaciones con Irán y Venezuela". www.efe.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 2021-04-16.