Maghen Abraham Synagogue
The Maghen Abraham Synagogue  is the oldest synagogue in Beirut, capital of Lebanon. A synagogue is where Jews go to pray. But, this synagogue is old, and no one used it for long. But, people in Beirut can still see it in Wadi Abu Jamil, the place where Lebanese Jews used to live. Today, some Lebanese Jews are trying to repair the synagogue, so that they can use it again.
History[change | change source]
This synagogue was very important to Jewish Lebanese in the early twentieth century. It was built in 1925. It was then named after the son of Abraham Sason. Also, it was used as a place to stay for illegal travelers. Some of the people who traveled without legal papers stayed in the synagogue while going to Palestine. Today, it is now called Israel. 
Israel attacked its enemies in Lebanon. This brought anger by other people towards Lebanese Jews. Lebanese Jews became targets to Islamic militant groups since 1984. But even during the fighting, Yasser Arafat's PLO forces and the Christian Phalangists did protect Wadi Abu Jamil during the 1982 Lebanon War. But, the presence of Palestine Liberation Organization forces in the area brought Israeli attacks that damaged the synagogue itself.
Related pages[change | change source]
- Deir el Qamar Synagogue (Mount Lebanon)
- Beth Elamen Cemetery
- History of the Jews in Lebanon
- Wadi Abu Jamil
Notes and references[change | change source]
- In Arabic, the synagogue is called "Kanees Maghen Ibrahim" (كنيس ماغن إبراهيم). But in Hebrew, it is called "Beth HaKenesset Maghen Avraham" (בית הכנסת מגן אברהם).
- Stern, Yoav (May 27, 2009). "Beirut shul to be refurbished, and even Hezbollah's on board". Haaretz. http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1088461.html. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- Lebanese Jewish Community Council
- Levi, Tomer (November 19, 1998). ""Magen-Abraham" synagogue in Beirut, Lebanon". » History - Maghen Abraham in Lebanon. Corporation Maghen Abraham Canada. http://www.maghenabraham.com/english.html. Retrieved 2006-12-28.
- According to the Juifs du Liban.
- Tomb, Roland (2004-10-20). "Lament Lebanon's lost tribe". » History - Jews In Lebanon (Daily Star (Lebanon)). http://www.maghenabraham.com/english/history-jewsinlebanon.htm.