Mahendra Singh Dhoni
Dhoni in 2016
|Full name||Mahendra Singh Pansingh Dhoni|
|Born||7 July 1981|
Ranchi, Bihar (now in Jharkhand), India
|Nickname||Mahi, Captain Cool, MSD, Thala|
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Test debut (cap 251)||2 December 2005 v Sri Lanka|
|Last Test||26 December 2014 v Australia|
|ODI debut (cap 158)||23 December 2004 v Bangladesh|
|Last ODI||9 July 2019 v New Zealand|
|ODI shirt no.||7|
|T20I debut (cap 2)||1 December 2006 v South Africa|
|Last T20I||27 February 2019 v Australia|
|T20I shirt no.||7|
|Domestic team information|
|1999–2004||Bihar cricket team|
|2008–2015||Chennai Super Kings (squad no. 7)|
|2016–2017||Rising Pune Supergiant|
|2018–||Chennai Super Kings (squad no. 7)|
Source: ESPNcricinfo, 9 July 2019
Mahendra Singh Dhoni (born 7 July 1981), commonly known as M. S. Dhoni and *Mahi*, is a cricket player and was the former captain of the Indian cricket team. Dhoni is a right-handed batsman. He is known as the greatest captain of all time, having achieved more success than any other captain in the history of cricket.
The Indian cricket team won the 2011 Cricket World Cup under his captainship. His Test cricket and One Day International records are the best among all Indian captains to date. He took over the ODI captaincy from Rahul Dravid in 2007 and led the team to its first ever inter-country ODI series wins in Sri Lanka and New Zealand. Dhoni also holds the post of Vice-President of India Cements Ltd. after resigning from Air India. India Cements is the owner of the Indian Premier League team Chennai Super Kings, and Dhoni has been its captain since the first edition of IPL.
Dhoni has also been given many awards, such as the ICC ODI Player of the Year award in 2008 and 2009 (the first Indian player to achieve this), the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award in 2007 and the Padma Shri, India's fourth-highest civilian honour, in 2009.
On 6 February 2015, Dhoni's daughter was born. He had played his 300th dhoni have more than 800 wins
Qualities of MS Dhoni[change | change source]
- Dedication and Hardwork
- Accept failures and take responsibility
- Be calm and confident
- Down to earth
- Lead from front
- Encourage and back other players
Playing style[change | change source]
M.S Dhoni is a right-handed batsman and also plays the role of a wicket-keeper. He mostly plays shots in the back foot, that is, he plays shots shifting his body weight on the right leg. He has his own famous cricket shot, called the "Helicopter", that can pick balls and send them in the galleries for six runs.
References[change | change source]
- Sen, Rohan. "MS Dhoni pays tribute to CSK fans: Thala is a big nickname they have given me". India Today. Living Media. Archived from the original on 4 June 2020. Retrieved 5 May 2019.
- "MS Dhoni | India Cricket". ESPN Cricinfo.
- "Mahendra the magnificent: History to remember Captain Cool as the greatest finisher of ODI format". India Today.
- "India news: MS Dhoni is the best captain I have player under: Sachin Tendulkar". ESPN Cricinfo. 2011.
- "MS Dhoni joins BCCI boss' company as vice-president". 2 February 2013.
- "India Cements appoints Dhoni as Vice-President". 2 February 2013.
- "Qualities of MS Dhoni you should adopt in your life".
- "IPL 2013:Skills and Innovations: Helicopter shot". specials.cricbuzz.com.