|52nd Governor of New York|
January 1, 1983 – December 31, 1994
|Preceded by||Hugh Carey|
|Succeeded by||George Pataki|
|69th Lieutenant Governor of New York|
January 1, 1979 – December 31, 1982
|Preceded by||Mary Anne Krupsak|
|Succeeded by||Alfred DelBello|
|58th Secretary of State of New York|
January 1, 1975 – December 31, 1978
|Preceded by||John Ghezzi|
|Succeeded by||Basil Paterson|
Mario Matthew Cuomo
June 15, 1932
Queens, New York, U.S.
|Died||January 1, 2015 (aged 82)|
Manhattan, New York, U.S.
|Resting place||St. John Cemetery, Queens, New York, U.S.|
|Alma mater||St. John's University|
Mario Matthew Cuomo (June 15, 1932 – January 1, 2015) was an American politician and member of the Democratic Party. He served as the Secretary of State of New York from 1975 to 1978, as the Lieutenant Governor of New York from 1979 to 1982 and as the 52nd Governor of New York for three terms, from 1983 to 1994. His son Andrew Cuomo is the current governor of New York.
Cuomo was born on June 15, 1932 in Queens, New York City to an Italian Catholic family. He studied at St. John's University. Cuomo was married to Matilda Raffa from 1954 until his death in 2015. They have five children.
Cuomo died on January 1, 2015, in his home in Manhattan, New York City at the age of 82 from heart failure only hours after his son Andrew was sworn-in to a second term as governor of New York state. His funeral was held on January 6, 2015 at the Saint Ignatius Loyola Church in Manhattan, New York. He was buried at St. John Cemetery, in Queens, New York.
References[change | change source]
Other websites[change | change source]
- Text Cuomo's 1984 Democratic National Convention Keynote Address – "A Tale of Two Cities"
- Text and Audio of Cuomo's Address at the University of Notre Dame– "Religious Belief and Public Morality"
- Lewis Lehrman 1982 NY Governor Campaign Retrospective. Lehrman narrowly lost to Mario Cuomo (51% to 48%)
- Biography at Willkie Farr & Gallagher website
- Video of debate/discussion with Mario Cuomo and Paul Krugman on Bloggingheads.tv
- Booknotes interview with Cuomo on Why Lincoln Matters, July 25, 2004.