Mark E. Smith
Mark E. Smith
|Birth name||Mark Edward Smith|
|Born||5 March 1957|
Broughton, Salford, Lancashire, England
|Died||24 January 2018 (aged 60)|
Prestwich, Greater Manchester, England
|Genres||Post-punk, alternative rock, spoken word|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, lyricist, songwriter|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, keyboards, violin|
Mark Edward Smith (5 March 1957 – 24 January 2018) was an English singer-songwriter and musician. He is the lead singer, lyricist and only constant member of the post-punk group The Fall. Smith formed The Fall in 1976 after attending a Sex Pistols gig at the Manchester Free Trade Hall in June that year.
Smith died on 24 January 2018 in Prestwich, Greater Manchester of lung and kidney cancer at the age of 60.
References[change | change source]
- ↑ Welsh, Claire. "BBC mistakenly announces Mark E. Smith’s death instead of birthday". BBC, 7 March 2016. Retrieved 17 March 2017
- ↑ Maume, Chris. "The Fall's Mark E Smith has become a strange, antimatter national treasure". The Independent, 5 March 2016. Retrieved 17 March 2017
- ↑ "The Fall's Mark E Smith has become a strange, antimatter national treasure".
- ↑ The Fall's Mark E. Smith Has Died at Age 60
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Mark E. Smith at Wikimedia Commons
- The Fall online formerly: The Official Fall Website & The Unofficial Fall Website
- Various interviews
- Guardian interview (2005)
- BBC Collective interview (2005) Archived 2012-11-12 at the Wayback Machine