Tim Starling (release manager)
|Initial release||25 January 2002|
|Stable release||1.25.2 / August 10, 2015|
|Available in||More than 350 languages|
MediaWiki is free server-based software which is licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). It is designed to be run on a large server farm for a website that gets millions of hits per day. MediaWiki is a very powerful, scalable software and a feature-rich wiki implementation, that uses PHP to process and display data stored in its MySQL database.
When a user submits an edit to a page, MediaWiki writes it to the database, but without deleting the previous versions of the page, thus allowing easy reverts in case of vandalism or spamming. MediaWiki can manage image and multimedia files, too, which are stored in the filesystem. For large wikis with lots of users, MediaWiki supports caching and can be easily coupled with Squid proxy server software.
All Wikimedia projects run on MediaWiki version 1.28.0-wmf.2 (a7d316b).
Usage[change | change source]
As MediaWiki is more flexible, therefore many websites use MediaWiki rather than other types of wiki software. Besides Wikimedia, Wikia is also another company that uses MediaWiki greatly for people to contribute information.
There are also some websites that uses MediaWiki as a content management system.
Extensions[change | change source]
In MediaWiki, a system administrator can choose to install extensions which are provided on the main MediaWiki website. Some are from the MediaWiki developers, while others are from programmers from all around the world.
Most extensions can be download from Wikimedia's Subversion repository. However, there are some other extensions that other people host themselves.
Some extensions had been added to the main software along the development of MediaWiki. For example, the Makesysop extension is an extension to promote a user into an administrator or a bureaucrat.
There is a total of 2144 extensions as of December 1, 2012.
Namespaces[change | change source]
In the default installation of MediaWiki, the software has 17 namespaces(18 actually, but one does not have a namespace), namely:
- Article (No namespace, like this page)
- Talk - for main namespace talk page
- User - the user page, also from Special:MyPage
- User talk - the user talk page, also from Special:MyTalk
- Project - The project namespace(like on this wiki, is Wikipedia)
- Project talk - The project page talk page
- File - Page for images and sounds
- File talk - Talk about the media
- MediaWiki - Software pages, can only be changed from an administrator
- MediaWiki talk - Talk about the software page, anyone can write in this namespace
- Template - for templates
- Template talk - talk about the template
- Help - Help pages(like Help:Contents)
- Help talk - talk about the help page
- Category - Categorising pages
- Category talk - talk about the category
- Special - Special pages of the MediaWiki software
- Media - Namespace to directly link to the file
Bugs[change | change source]
As MediaWiki is a complex software, there would always be bugs in the software, especially for new extensions. Therefore, Wikimedia has created a bugzilla website for people who see a bug to tell the developers of MediaWiki.
Some extensions of MediaWiki use the Wikimedia Bugzilla, while some just use the talk pages of the extension page.
Skins[change | change source]
During the development of MediaWiki, different skins have come into the main software. For example, Wikipedia used to be using Nostalgia. But it changed to Monobook before the new Vector skin came up in 1.16.
A survey done by Wikimedia showed that more people prefer the Vector skin.
It is possible to change the skin that a user wants to see a wiki as by going to their preferences.
More information[change | change source]
More information about the software:
- Main MediaWiki website
- MediaWiki on Meta Wiki
- MediaWiki User's Guide on Meta Wiki
- PHP script FAQ
- PHP script automatic wikification (former feature)
- How to become a MediaWiki hacker (installation advice)
References[change | change source]
- "MediaWiki Security and Maintenance Releases: 1.25.2, 1.24.3, 1.23.10". MediaWiki-announce mailing list. Wikimedia Foundation. https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-announce/2015-August/000179.html. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- Meta wiki's version page
- Sites using MediaWiki for corporations
- MediaWiki's category of extensions that became part of the software
- MediaWiki's Extension matrix, displaying 2011 out of 2144 members of Category:Extensions
- MediaWiki helppage on namespaces
- MediaWiki's guide on making custom namespaces
- Wikipedia site that uses Nostalgia
- Blog post on Wikimedia's blog about the vector skin.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Wikitech-L mailing list (technical discussions regarding the development)
- Sites using MediaWiki
- Sourceforge: MediaWiki Project page Now changed to MediaWiki.org.
- Sourceforge: MediaWiki Bug reports Now changed to Wikimedia Bugzilla.
- Sourceforge: MediaWiki Feature requests Now changed to Wikimedia Bugzilla.
- Translatewiki.net - The place to translate MediaWiki messages.