Mike Hughes (daredevil)
Mike Hughes (February 9, 1956 – February 22, 2020), popularly known as "Mad" Mike Hughes, was an American limousine driver, daredevil, and flat Earth conspiracy theorist. He was known for flying in self-built steam rockets.
Hughes planned to launch himself in a rocket on August 10, 2019, but mechanical troubles postponed the launch. The following weekend, the launch was again postponed and Hughes was treated for heat exhaustion.
Hughes was killed while filming a rocket stunt for an upcoming Science Channel television series on February 22, 2020. He was riding a rocket near Barstow, California when the rocket’s parachute appeared to deploy early and detach from the craft. He was 64 years old.
References[change | change source]
- Dwyer, Colin (November 22, 2017). "'I Don't Believe In Science,' Says Flat-Earther Set To Launch Himself In Own Rocket". NPR. Retrieved 29 November 2017.
- Graham, Pat (November 20, 2017). "Self-Taught Rocket Scientist Mad Mike Hughes Plans to Launch Over Ghost Town". NBC4 Washington. Associated Press. Retrieved 29 November 2017.
- Mack, Eric (9 August 2019). "Flat Earth Rocket Man 'Mad' Mike Hughes To Blast Off Again Soon". Forbes. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- Gohd, Chelsea (August 12, 2019). "'Mad' Flat-Earther's Steam Rocket Launch Grounded by Bad Water Heater Bought on Craigslist". Space.com. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "Daredevil dies after homemade rocket crashes in desert while filming TV show". ABC News.
- "Daredevil 'Mad' Mike Hughes dead at 64... Fatal Rocket Crash Landing". TMZ. February 22, 2020. Retrieved February 22, 2020.