|Mill Creek (conservation area)|
Virginia, United States
|Nearest town||Pearisburg, Virginia|
|Area||4,777 acres (19.33 km2)|
|Administrator||U.S. Forest Service|
Mill Creek, a wildland in the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests of Western Virginia, United States. The Wilderness Society recognized it as a special place that needed protection from logging and new roads being built through it. The Wilderness Society has said the area is a "Mountain Treasure".
The area, a valley between two mountain ridges with many cliffs, rocky outcrops and an almost impenetrable vegetation, has the sense of being isolated from the civilized world although it is not far from nearby towns. Several trails give access to the area.
The area is part of the Angels Rest Cluster.
Mill Creek Falls[change | change source]
Mill Creek Falls is a waterfall located in Giles County, Virginia, United States. It is located in the Mills Creek Nature Park a 140+ acre (56+ hectare) area adjoining the Town of Narrows Virginia. It lies along County Route 652 and the New River to the south of the town of Narrows of Giles County. Its elevation is 2,362 feet (720 m).
Mill Creek Dam is located approximately 0.5 miles (0.80 km) downstream from Mill Creek Falls. The dam was constructed to create a spillway to use running water to turn a waterwheel and power a mill. The reservoir served as a water source for the town of Narrows until the 1970s. The original hand-cut stone portion of the dam is still functional and dates to the 1780s.
Mercy Branch Falls is a waterfall located in close proximity (within a few hundred feet) of Mill Creek Falls. It is formed from Mercy Branch, a tributary of Mill Creek.
References[change | change source]
- Parsons, Shireen (May 1999). Virginia's Mountain Treasures, The Unprotected Wildlands of the Jefferson National Forest. Washington, D. C.: The Wilderness Society, OCLC: 42806366. p. 46.
- Bamford, Sherman (February 2013). A Review of the Virginia Mountain Treasures of the Jefferson National Forest. Blacksburg, Virginia: Sierra Club, OCLC: 893635467. pp. 46–47.
- Barbasol Commerical. Barbasol Commerical
- Town of Narrows. Town of Narrows
- Giles County. Giles County
- Google Maps. Google Maps
- Virginia is for Lovers. Virginia is for Lovers
- Google Earth
- Zip Code Lookup[permanent dead link]