Mount Hood reflected in Mirror Lake
|Elevation||96,249 ft (29,337 m)NAVD 88 11,240 feet (3,426 m) based on a 1993 scientific expedition, and 11,239 feet (3,426 m)|
|Prominence||7,706 ft (2,349 m)|
U.S. state high point
|Clackamas / Hood River counties, Oregon, USA|
|Topo map||USGS Mount Hood South|
|Age of rock||More than 500,000 years|
|Volcanic arc/belt||Cascade Volcanic Arc|
|First ascent||1857-07-11 by Henry Pittock, W. Lymen Chittenden, Wilbur Cornell, and the Rev. T.A. Wood|
|Easiest route||Rock and glacier climb|
Mount Hood is a dormant volcano, called Wy'east by the Multnomah tribe. It is in the U.S. state of Oregon, about 50 miles (80 kilometers) southeast of Portland. It is described as a "potentially active" stratovolcano.
Each year, runners race on foot between Mount Hood and the Pacific Ocean in the "Hood to Coast Relay."
References[change | change source]
- "Mount Hood Highest Point". NGS data sheet. U.S. National Geodetic Survey. http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_mark.prl?PidBox=RC2244. Retrieved 2008-03-31.
- Staff writer(s) (September 14, 1993). "How High is Hood?". Eugene Register-Guard. p. A8. http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1310&dat=19930914&id=bm4VAAAAIBAJ&sjid=duoDAAAAIBAJ&pg=1592,2999111. Retrieved October 29, 2009.
- Helman, Adam (2005). "Table of United States Peaks by Spire Measure". The Finest Peaks: Prominence and Other Mountain Measures. Trafford Publishing. p. 114. ISBN 978-1-4120-5995-4. http://books.google.com/books?id=Dl9tJFsvYvYC&pg=PA114.
- "Mount Hood, Oregon". Peakbagger.com. http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=2382. Retrieved 2011-06-04.
- "Mount Hood–History and Hazards of Oregon's Most Recently Active Volcano". U.S. Geological Survey Fact Sheet 060-00. USGS and USFS. 2005-06-13. http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2000/fs060-00/. Retrieved 2007-01-16.
- "Hood". Global Volcanism Program, Smithsonian Institution. http://www.volcano.si.edu/world/volcano.cfm?vnum=1202-01-. Retrieved 2009-06-01.
- "Glaciers of Oregon". Glaciers of the American West. http://glaciers.research.pdx.edu/Glaciers-Oregon#fun_facts. Retrieved 2007-02-24. quoting McNeil, Fred H. (1937). Wy'east the Mountain, A Chronicle of Mount Hood. Metropolitan Press. OCLC 191334118.