Names of numbers in English
Jump to navigation Jump to search
When writing other numbers between 21 and 99, you must use a hyphen (-).
- 21: twenty-one
- 29: twenty-nine
- 64: sixty-four
- 99: ninety-nine
The number 100 is written as "one hundred", but sometimes people say "a hundred".
To write a whole number from 100 to 999:
- First write how many hundreds.
- Then write the word "hundred".
- Then write the name of the two-digit number after the digit in the hundreds place.
- In standard, written, American English, the word "and" is not in the word-name of any whole number even though many speakers insert it.
- 101: one hundred one (NOT: one hundred and one)
- 102: one hundred two (NOT: one hundred and two)
- 175: one hundred seventy-five (NOT: one hundred and seventy-five)
- 200: two hundred
- 300: three hundred
- 512: five hundred twelve
- 987: nine hundred eighty-seven