MacKinnon with the Colorado Avalanche in December 2013
|Born||September 1, 1995
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight||210 lb (95 kg; 15 st 0 lb)|
|NHL team||Colorado Avalanche|
|NHL Draft||1st overall, 2013
Nathan MacKinnon (born September 1, 1995) is a Canadian professional ice hockey centre. He currently plays for the Colorado Avalanche of the National Hockey League (NL). He was drafted 1st overall by the Colorado Avalanche in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
Career[change | change source]
When he was playing an atom aged player, he recorded 200 points in 50 games. He started his hockey career with the Cole Harbour Red Wings in Bantam AAA and played 2 seasons with them. During that time, he recorded 145 points in 110 seasons respectively. He also played for Shattuck-Saint Mary's in Bantam AAA and Midget AAA for 2 seasons. He scored 101 points in 58 games played that he played to finish second in team scoring in their Bantam Tier I program.
On June 4, 2011, He was drafted first overall by the Baie-Comeau Drakkar in the 2011 QMJHL Draft. On July 13, 2011, His rights were traded to the Halifax Mooseheads for Carl Gélinas, Francis Turbide, the Mooseheads' first round draft picks in 2012 and 2013, and the Quebec Remparts' first round draft pick in 2013 which was previously acquired by Halifax. On May 26, 2013, He led the Mooseheads to their first Memorial Cup championship win and scored a hat-trick in the final game against the Portland Winterhawks. He was named the Most Valuable Player and scored a tournament-best seven goals and six assists in four games as well earned a spot on the Tournament All-Star Team.
On June 30, 2013, he was drafted by the Colorado Avalanche with the 1st overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. On July 9, 2013, the Avalanche signed MacKinnon to his first NHL contract, a three-year entry level deal.
References[change | change source]
- Penton, Kirk (2011-01-02). "The next Next One?". Toronto Sun. Retrieved 2011-01-05.
- "Baie-Comeau takes Cole Harbour's Nathan MacKinnon first in QMJHL draft". National Hockey League. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- "Mooseheads Acquire Top Draft Pick MacKinnon From Drakkar". The Sports Network. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- "Mooseheads Win Mastercard Memorial Cup". Western Hockey League. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- "Colorado Avalanche take forward Nathan MacKinnon with No. 1 pick in 2013 NHL Draft". National Hockey League. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- "Avalanche sign first-overall pick Nathan MacKinnon to entry-level contract". National Hockey League. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Nathan MacKinnon's NHL player profile
- Nathan MacKinnon's career stats at The Internet Hockey Database
|Awards and achievements|
|NHL first overall draft pick
|Colorado Avalanche first round draft pick
|Winner of the Calder Trophy