|UNESCO World Heritage Site|
Street in Old Rauma
|Criteria||Cultural: iv, v|
|Inscription||1991 (15th Session)|
The area of Old Rauma is about 0.3 km². It has approximately six hundred buildings (including both proper houses and smaller buildings like sheds). About 800 people live in the area.
The town of Rauma expanded outside Old Rauma only in the early 19th century. The oldest currently standing buildings were built in the 18th century, because two fires in 1640 and 1682 destroyed the town. Most buildings are currently inhabited and owned by private individuals. The two main streets and area around the town square are mainly in business use.
References[change | change source]
- "Old Rauma". UNESCO World Heritage Centre. Retrieved 2020-08-16.
- "Vanha Rauma - Valtakunnallisesti merkittävät rakennetut kulttuuriympäristöt RKY". www.rky.fi. Museovirasto. Retrieved 2020-08-16.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Media related to Old Rauma at Wikimedia Commons
- Old Rauma as a VRML model
- Old Rauma information in English