An out-of-body-experience (OBE) is a feeling of not being where your body is.
The term out-of-body experience was introduced in 1943. It was adopted as an alternative to beliefs such as "astral projection" or "spirit walking". OBEs can be induced by traumatic brain injuries, sensory deprivation, near-death experiences, dissociative and psychedelic drugs, dehydration, sleep disorders, dreaming, and electrical stimulation of the brain,
What OBEs are[change | change source]
Some people think OBEs are just dreams, but other people say OBEs don't feel like that. Some people think that when you have an OBE, you're like a ghost and the things you see are real. People who think that sometimes call them 'astral projections'. Some scientists like Sam Parnia are doing tests with hidden pictures in hospitals, to see if ill people really can see them when they have NDEs.
References[change | change source]
- G.N.M. Tyrrell 1943. Apparitions. Duckworth, London, pp. 149. ISBN 978-1169831537
- Aspell, Jane; Blanke, Olaf (2009). "Understanding the out-of-body experience from a neuroscientific perspective" (PDF). In Murray, Craig D. (ed.). Psychological scientific perspectives on out of body and near-death experiences. Psychology Research Progress. New York: Nova Science Publishers. ISBN 978-1-60741-705-7.
- Brent, S. B. (1979). "Deliberately induced, premortem, out-of-body experiences: An experimental and theoretical approach". In Kastenbaum, B. (ed.). Between life and death. New York: Springer. pp. 89–123. ISBN 978-0826125408.
- Blackmore, Susan (1984). "A Postal Survey of OBEs and Other Experiences".
- "(Aug. 24, 2007) First Out-of-body Experience induced in laboratory setting". ScienceDaily. 2007-08-24. Retrieved 2011-10-06.
- Alvarado, see Metziner's "Out-of-Body Experiences as the Origin of the Concept of a “Soul”" in Mind & Matter 3(1), 2005, p65.
- Robert Monroe, "Journeys Out Of the Body", Chapter 4. Souvenir Press, ISBN 0-285-62753-8
- Robert Monroe, "Journeys Out Of the Body", Chapter 5. Souvenir Press, ISBN 0-285-62753-8
- BBC News about Sam Parnia's experiments