|Region||San Basilio de Palenque|
|Latin (Spanish alphabet)|
Official language in
|The Colombian Constitution recognizes minority languages as "official in their territories."|
Palenquero is a Spanish-African Creole language spoken in Colombia. Is it spoken primarily in the Northern and the Caribbean parts of Colombia; the palenque villages and their diasporas.
Formation of Palenquero[change | change source]
Palenquero, just like in the other Spanish-Based Caribbean Creoles, has influences from the contact between European masters and African slaves. In the case of Palenquero, it has been accepted that the maroons (escaped slaves) moved in somewhere in the mountains, along with some Native Americans. The maroons had very little contact with their masters, which led to them having to blend their African substrate languages with the Spanish European ones.
African influences[change | change source]
Palenquero has a lot of African influence in its sounds, phonetics, syntax, grammar, vocabulary, and a lot of words.
Vocabulary[change | change source]
- burú-silver, money
- chitiá-to speak
- kusa-thing, stuff
- cuagro-neighborhood cohort
Sample[change | change source]
- Tatá suto lo ke ta riba sielo,
- santifikaro sendá nombre si,
- miní a reino sí, asé ño boluntá sí,
- aí tiela kumo a sielo.
- Nda suto agué pan ri to ma ría,
- peddona ma fata suto,
- asina kumo suto a se peddoná,
- lo ke se fatá suto.
- Nu rejá sujo kaí andí tentasión nu,
- librá suto ri má. Amén.
Related languages or dialect[change | change source]
Cuban Creole Oriental is very similar to Palenquero. They even share some words.
Dominican Spanish is similar to Palenquero due to same origins.
Many of the Spanish-based Creoles can be compared to the other Creoles of the Americas, where there has been the blending of African and European languages.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Ministerio de Cultura (2010). "Palenqueros, descendientes de la insurgencia anticolonial" (PDF). p. 1.
- Ministerio de Cultura (2010). "Palenqueros, descendientes de la insurgencia anticolonial" (PDF). p. 2.
- Title 1, Article 10. http://confinder.richmond.edu/admin/docs/colombia_const2.pdf Archived 2011-09-27 at the Wayback Machine