Jump to navigation Jump to search
June 3, 1910[b]
New York City, U.S.
|Died||April 23, 1990 (aged 79)|
|Cause of death||Heart failure caused by emphysema|
|Resting place||Ronco Village Cemetery, Ticino, Switzerland|
|Occupation||Actress, movie producer, dancer, model|
(m. 1927; div. 1932)
(m. 1936; div. 1942)
(m. 1944; div. 1949)
Erich Maria Remarque
(m. 1958; died 1970)
Notes[change | change source]
- Birth names also cited include: Marion Levy; Pauline Marion Levy; Marion Goddard Levy
- There are discrepancies regarding her year of birth. According to biographer Julie Gilbert, she was born in 1910. Legal documents and a passport listed her birth year as 1905 and 1915. In a 1945 interview with Life, Goddard claimed she was born in 1915.
References[change | change source]
- Thomson, David. The New Biographical Dictionary of Film: Completely Updated and Expanded, Knopf Doubleday (2010) p. 385
- Brando, Marlon. Brando: Songs My Mother Taught Me, Random House Publ. (1994) p. 79
- Hale, Georgia. Charlie Chaplin: Intimate Close-Ups, Scarecrow Press (1999) p. 38
- Friedrich, Otto. City of Nets: A Portrait of Hollywood in the 1940s, Univ. of California Press (1986) p. 187
- Booker, Keith M. Historical Dictionary of American Cinema, Scarecrow Press (2011) p. 150
- Scovell, Jane. Oona Living in the Shadows: A Biography of Oona O'Neill Chaplin, Grand Central Publishing (1998) ebook
- Chaplin, Lita Grey. Wife of the Life of the Party: A Memoir, Scarecrow Press (1998) p. 115
- Stange, Ellen. New York State of Fame, Page Publishing (2015) ebook
- Rimler, Walter (2009). George Gershwin: An Intimate Portrait. University of Illinois Press. p. 147. ISBN 978-0-252-09369-2.
- Jensen, Oliver (December 17, 1945). "The Mystery of Paulette Goddard". Life. Vol. 19, no. 25. Time Inc. p. 124. ISSN 0024-3019.
The interview moved on to her date of birth. It was pointed out that the dates most frequently given were 1911, 1905, and 1914. "Isn't that funny", observed Miss Goddard, "because I was actually born in 1915."