This page or section contains advertising and other spam. This is not knowledge, and may be removed by anyone when found.
|Operating system||Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP|
Pokki is a free digital distribution platform and Windows Shell extension by SweetLabs, Inc. that gives computers running Windows a mobile app-like interface. It is available for Windows XP and later; the Windows 8 version takes over the Start screen to imitate a look and feel of the second generation Start menu in earlier versions of Windows.
History[change | change source]
In April 2012, Pokki launched the Pokki Store, a marketplace and app store for desktop apps for social networking services and social gaming apps. With the Pokki Store, users can browse, search, and download applications in various categories. Developers submit applications using the Pokki Developer Center.
In August 2012, Pokki stopping being in the beta stage, said it had 1 million monthly active users, and released the Pokki Menu, an app launcher for access, management, and discovery of its apps, and a notification center for real-time updates.
In October 2012, Pokki for Windows 8 was released as a free software download to bring back core things to the Windows Start menu that had been removed from Windows 8. It had about 1.5 million users as of January 2013.
References[change | change source]
- Albro, Edward (28 June 2011). "Pokki Brings Smartphone-style Apps to Your Desktop". PC World. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- Cho, Eddie (30 June 2011). "Pokki: Serving the Web like bite-sized candy". CNET. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- Geron, Tomio (28 June 2011). "Pokki Brings Mobile-Style Apps To Desktop PCs". Forbes. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- Kincaid, Jason (30 June 2011). "OpenCandy's Pokki Brings Web Apps To The Desktop, With Style". TechCrunch. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- Alex, Wilhelm (17 April 2012). "Meet Pokki: Bringing the power of mobile apps to your desktop". The Next Web. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- Van Groove, Jennifer (30 August 2012). "Pokki exits beta, picks up 1M users, and sets out to prove that desktop apps can be cool, too". VentureBeat. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- Gallagher, Billy (30 August 2012). "Pokki Surpasses 1 Million Monthly Active Users, Releases Angry Birds, Pandora and Pinterest Desktop Apps". TechCrunch. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- Streams, Kimber (31 August 2012). "Must-have Windows widget app Pokki leaves beta, OS X version on the way". The Verge. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- Chang, Alexandra (16 October 2012). "Pokki Brings the Start Menu Back to Windows 8". Wired. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- Newman, Jared (16 October 2012). "Pokki Aims to Fix Windows 8 with Replacement Start Menu". TIME. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- Molt, Stephanie (16 October 2012). "Pokki Brings the Start Menu to Windows 8". PC Magazine. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- Whitney, Lance (17 October 2012). "How to restore the classic Start menu with Pokki for Windows 8". CNET. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- Yahoo! News, Jan. 16, 2013