Prince Friso of Orange-Nassau
|Born||25 September 1968|
|Died||12 August 2013 (aged 44)|
Huis ten Bosch, The Hague, Netherlands
|Spouse||Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau (2004–2013; his death)|
|House||House of Orange-Nassau|
|Father||Claus von Amsberg|
|Mother||Beatrix of the Netherlands|
|Religion||Protestant Church in the Netherlands|
Prince Friso of Orange-Nassau (Johan Friso Bernhard Christiaan David van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg; 25 September 1968 – 12 August 2013) was a member of the Dutch Royal Family.
He was born on 25 September 1968 in the University Medical Center in Utrecht, Netherlands to Princess Beatrix and Prince Claus. He was a younger brother of King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands. Because of his marriage without an Act of Consent in 2004, he lost his membership of the Dutch Royal House and was no longer in the line of succession to the Dutch throne. He worked as chief financial officer for Urenco Group.
According to his doctor, even though he was trapped for a relatively short time and hopes had originally been higher, subsequent neurological tests showed that after fifty minutes of cardiopulmonary resuscitation in moderate hypothermia he suffered massive brain damage due to oxygen shortage. The prince was in a minimally conscious state and it was unclear whether he would ever regain full consciousness. After nearly a year and a half in a coma, he died on 12 August 2013.
References[change | change source]
- (Dutch) Prins Friso, Royal House. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- (Dutch) Geboorte prins Johan Friso, NOS, 2008. Retrieved 18 February 2013
- "Dutch Prince Johan Friso 'buried by Austria avalanche'". BBC News. 17 February 2012. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- "Zeer ernstig hersenletsel Friso" (in Dutch). NU.nl. 24 February 2012. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "Dutch prince 'may never regain consciousness'". AFP. 24 February 2012. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "Dutch prince suffers brain damage after avalanche - CNN.com". CNN. 25 February 2012.
- "BBC News – Dutch prince dies after year in coma". Bbc.co.uk. 1 January 1970. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Johan Friso, Prince of Orange at Wikimedia Commons
- Geen Toestemmingswet Huwelijk Friso en Mabel, archived from regering.nl, 10 October 2003 (Dutch)