Script error: The module returned a value. It is supposed to return an export table.
He was an important person in the New Left movement and in wider culture. His writings on politics, culture, the mass media and literature are a significant contribution to the Marxist critique of culture and the arts.
Some 750,000 copies of his books have sold in UK editions alone and there are many translations available. His work laid the foundations for the field of cultural studies and the cultural materialist approach.
References[change | change source]
- Politics and Letters: Interviews with New Left Review
Further reading[change | change source]
- Pinkney, Tony, editor. Raymond Williams. Bridgend, Mid Glamorgan, England: Seren Books, 1991.
- Politics and Letters (London, New Left Books, 1979) gives the author's own account of his life and work
- Smith, Dai. Raymond Williams: A Warrior's Tale. Cardigan: Parthian, 2008.
- Stevenson, Nick. Culture, Ideology, and Socialism: Raymond Williams and E.P. Thompson. Aldershot, England: Avebury, 1995.
- Tredell, Nicolas. Uncancelled Challenge: the work of Raymond Williams. Nottingham: Paupers' Press, 1990. ISBN 0-946650-16-0
- Ward, J. P. Raymond Williams in the Writers of Wales series. University of Wales Press, 1981.
- Williams, Daniel, editor. Who Speaks for Wales?: Nation, Culture, Identity, Cardiff: University of Wales Press, 2003.
Other websites[change | change source]
- The Raymond Williams Society
- Museum of Broadcast Communications article about Raymond Williams
- Maurice Cowling on Raymond Williams
- Selections from Keywords
- Raymond Williams Centre for Recovery Research
- Raymond Williams page at The Literary Encyclopedia
- Raymond Williams Worldcat Identity