Jump to navigation Jump to search
|The Simple English Wiktionary has a definition for: reduction.|
Reduction in a general sense means to take of a part of a whole thing or to make it smaller.
Reduction or reducing may may mean in special cases:
- Reduction (chemistry), the reverse of oxidation, half of a redox reaction, adding of electrons to a molecule, which means reducing the valence
- Reduction (cooking), the process of thickening a liquid mixture such as a sauce by evaporation
- Reduction (philosophy), in philosophy, the process of explaining a particular concept or phenomenon in terms of more fundamental concepts or phenomena
- Reduction (linguistics), in linguistics, the shortening of the pronunciation of a word. e.g. wanna, lemme, gimme.
- Reduction, in physiology, another name for weight loss or dieting
- Reduction (orthopedic surgery), in orthopedic surgery, a medical procedure to restore a fracture to a correct alignment
- Reduction (town), a form of Catholic mission in South America in the 17th and 18th centuries
- Purchasing reduction, in economics and in waste management, is the process of decreasing the purchase of consumer goods
- Reduction (Sweden), in 1680 a return of lands to the Crown earlier granted to the nobility.
- Waste reduction is the first and most desirable component of the waste hierarchy (reduce, reuse, recycle)
In mathematics and computer science:
- Reduction (mathematics), the process of manipulating a series of equations or matrices into a desired 'simpler' format
- Reduction property, in descriptive set theory, a pointclass allows partitioning the union of two sets in the pointclass into two disjoint sets in the same pointclass
- Reduction (complexity), in computational complexity theory, the transformation of an instance of one problem into an instance of another
- Reduce computer algebra system, a general-purpose computer algebra system geared towards applications in physics.
- Reduce (higher-order function), a family of higher-order functions that process a data structure in some order and build up a return value.
| This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Reduction.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.