Robert J. Bentley
|Robert J. Bentley|
Bentley campaign photo (2009)
|53rd Governor of Alabama|
January 17, 2011 – April 10, 2017
|Preceded by||Bob Riley|
|Succeeded by||Kay Ivey|
|Member of the Alabama House of Representatives
from the 63rd district
|Preceded by||Tim Parker|
|Succeeded by||Bill Poole|
|Born||Robert Julian Bentley
February 3, 1943 
Columbiana, Alabama, U.S.
|Residence||Tuscaloosa, Alabama (personal)|
|Alma mater||University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa
University of Alabama, Birmingham
|Service/branch||United States Air Force|
|Years of service||1969–1975|
Robert Julian Bentley (born February 3, 1943) is an American politician and medical doctor. Bentley is the 53rd Governor of Alabama serving from 2011 through 2017. A member of the Republican Party, Bentley was elected Governor in 2010 and was sworn in on January 17, 2011. He resigned on April 10, 2017.
Resignation[change | change source]
On April 5, 2016, Republican State Representative Ed Henry filed an impeachment resolution against Bentley in the State Legislature, in connection with allegations that Bentley engaged in an extramarital affair with a female political adviser. Bentley has admitted to making inappropriate remarks toward the woman, but denied having a physical affair.
On July 7, 2016, the House Judiciary Committee named a special counsel to lead the investigation into the impeachment charges against the governor. On April 5, 2017, the Ethics Commission found probable cause that Bentley violated both ethics and campaign finance laws.
References[change | change source]
- Michael Tomberlin (May 17, 2010). "Campaign 2010: Robert Bentley criss-crosses Alabama, focuses on meeting voters in bid to win governor's office". The Birmingham News. http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2010/05/campaign_2010_robert_bentley_a.html. Retrieved April 30, 2011.
- al.com staff (January 17, 2011). "Prepared text of Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley's inauguration speech". al.com. http://blog.al.com/wire/2011/01/prepared_text_of_alabama_gov_r.html. Retrieved April 30, 2011.
- "Alabama lawmaker moves forward with plan to impeach governor". The Washington Times. April 5, 2016. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/apr/5/ala-lawmaker-moves-forward-impeachment-governor. Retrieved April 5, 2016.
- "Lawyers hired for both sides in Bentley impeachment investigation". http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/07/special_counsel_to_be_named_to.html.
- Cason, Mike (April 5, 2017). "Ethics Commission finds probable cause against Gov. Robert Bentley". al.com. http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2017/04/ethics_commission_finds_probab.html#incart_river_index. Retrieved April 6, 2017.
- Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley resigns, CNN (April 10, 2017).
- Amber Phillips, Alabama governor resigns, pleads guilty to charges tied to allegations he tried to cover up affair with a top aide, Washington Post (April 10, 2017).