|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from Texas's 3rd district
May 8, 1991 – January 3, 2019
|Preceded by||Steve Bartlett|
|Succeeded by||Van Taylor|
|Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee|
October 29, 2015 – November 5, 2015
|Preceded by||Paul Ryan|
|Succeeded by||Kevin Brady|
|Member of the Texas House of Representatives|
from the 60th district
January 8, 1985 – May 21, 1991
|Preceded by||Frank Eikenburg|
|Succeeded by||Brian McCall|
|Born||October 11, 1930|
San Antonio, Texas, U.S.
|Died||May 27, 2020 (aged 89)|
Plano, Texas, U.S.
(m. 1950; her death 2015)
|Education||Southern Methodist University (BBA)|
George Washington University (MS)
|Branch/service||United States Air Force|
|Years of service||1950–1979|
|Unit||51st Fighter Interceptor Wing|
8th Tactical Fighter Wing
|Commands||31st Tactical Fighter Wing|
|Awards||Silver Star (2)|
Legion of Merit (3)
Distinguished Flying Cross
Bronze Star with valor
Purple Heart (2)
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Medal (4)
Prisoner of War Medal
Samuel Robert Johnson (October 11, 1930 – May 27, 2020) was an American politician. He was the U.S. Representative for Texas's 3rd congressional district serving in Congress from 1991 to 2019. He was a member of the Republican Party.
On January 6, 2017, Johnson announced he will not run for reelection in 2018.
References[change | change source]
- Scott Bland; Kyle Cheney (2017-01-06). "Texas Rep. Sam Johnson announces he won't run for reelection". Politico.
- "With McCain's Death, Carper Is Senate's Only Vietnam Veteran". Bloomberg Government. August 26, 2018. Retrieved December 12, 2018.
- Weissert, Will (May 27, 2020). "Sam Johnson, ex-Texas GOP congressman and Vietnam POW, dies". Associated Press. Retrieved May 27, 2020.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Congressman Sam Johnson Archived 2009-03-25 at the Wayback Machine official House site
- Sam Johnson for Congress
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Biography at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Voting record maintained by The Washington Post
- Biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Vote Smart
- Campaign finance reports and data at the Federal Election Commission
- Tribute to Sam Johnson, Smithsonian Institution
- Texas Nonprofit Is Cleared After GOP-Prompted Audit: Group Says Probe Was 'Political Retaliation' by DeLay Allies, Washington Post, February 27, 2006