|Coordinates: 48°11′52″N 3°16′57″E / 48.1978°N 3.2826°ECoordinates: 48°11′52″N 3°16′57″E / 48.1978°N 3.2826°E|
|Intercommunality||CA Grand Sénonais|
|• Mayor (2014–2020)||Marie-Louise Fort|
|21.91 km2 (8.46 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,200/km2 (3,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||62–208 m (203–682 ft) |
(avg. 135 m or 443 ft)
|Website||Mairie de Sens|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Sens is a French commune. It is in the north of the Yonne department in the Bourgogne-Franche-Comté region, to the southeast of Paris, and is a subprefecture in the department. It is also the capital of the arrrondissement of Sens.
Sens is the second commune of the department by its population, after Auxerre, prefecture of the department.
Geography[change | change source]
The city of Sens is in the northern part of the Yonne department, in the northwest of the Bourgogne-Franche-Comté region and bordered by three other regions: Île-de-France, Grand Est and Centre-Val de Loire. It is in the valley of the Yonne river.
The commune of Sens has an area of 21.9 km2 (8.5 sq mi). Its average altitude is 135 m (443 ft); at the city hall, the altitude is 70 m (230 ft).
Two rivers flow through the commune:
- the Yonne river that passes through the city from south to north and is a left tributary of the Seine river; and
- the Vanne, a right tributary of the Yonne.
|227 km (141 mi)||125 km (78 mi)||602 km (374 mi)||694 km (431 mi)||673 km (418 mi)||377 km (234 mi)||465 km (289 mi)|
The city of Sens is surrounded by the communes:
Climate[change | change source]
The Köppen climate classification type for Sens is an "Oceanic climate" (also known as Maritime Temperate climate) and of the subtype Cfb.
Population[change | change source]
The inhabitants of Sens are known, in French, as Sénonais (women: Sénonaises).
With a population of 25,507, Sens has a population density of 1,164 inhabitants/km2.
Evolution of the population in Sens
Administration[change | change source]
Sens is a subprefecture of the Yonne department, the capital of the arrondissement of Sens and the administrative centre (French: chef-lieu) of two cantons:
- Sens-1 formed by 2 communes and part of Sens, with 19,669 inhabitants (2014).
- Sens-2 formed by 5 communes and part of Sens, with 19,996 inhabitants (2014).
It is part of the intercommunality Le Grand Sénonais (French: Communauté d'agglomération du Grand Sénonais).
Twinned and partner towns[change | change source]
Places of interest[change | change source]
Some interesting places in Sens are:
- The Saint-Étienne cathedral, one of the earliest Gothic buildings in France.
- The Maison d'Abraham (House of Abraham), a house in the centre of the city.
- The Archbishops' Palace - now it is a museum.
- The Saint-Maurice church.
Gallery[change | change source]
View of Sens with its city hall and cathedral.
The old Archbishops' Palace.
Parc du Moulin a Tan, a park.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- ↑ "Le Député-maire, les élus" (in French). Ville de Sens. Archived from the original on 24 May 2017. Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- ↑ "Commune de Sens (89387) - Comparateur de territoire". Publications et statistiques pour la France ou les régions (in French). Institut national de la statistique et des études économiques - INSEE. Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- ↑ "The city of Sens". Map-France.com. Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Ville de Sens". Annuaire-Mairie.fr (in French). Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- ↑ "Yonne" (in French). habitants.fr. Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- ↑ "Régions, départements, arrondissements, cantons et communes" (PDF). Populations légales 2014 (in French). Institut national de la statistique et des études économiques - INSEE. Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- ↑ "Jumelages" (in French). Ville de Sens. Archived from the original on 23 July 2017. Retrieved 20 June 2017.