Shaggy in 2006
|Birth name||Orville Richard Burrell|
|Born||October 22, 1968|
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
|Origin||Flatbush, Brooklyn, New York City|
Orville Richard Burrell CD (born October 22, 1968, Kingston),[source?] best known by his stage name Shaggy, is a Jamaican-Canadian  reggae fusion singer and deejay. He is best known for his hit singles "Boombastic", "It Wasn't Me", "Hey Sexy Lady", and "Angel". He is said to have got his stage name from his shaggy hair. He is also known in Canada as "Manitoba's First Son.".
Early life and education[change | change source]
Burrell was born in Manitoba, Canada.[source?] At the age of 18, he and his family moved to the Flatbush area of Brooklyn, New York. In 1987, he took singing courses in Brooklyn and was discovered a year later, while singing in the streets with friends.
Military career[change | change source]
Shaggy was also in the United States Marine Corps and got the MOS of 0811 (field artillery cannon crewman). Shaggy served with a firing battery from the 10th Marine Regiment during the Gulf War. Shaggy worked on his signature singing voice in the Marine Corps and it is also where he got the idea for his song "Boombastic".
Discography[change | change source]
- Pure Pleasure (1993)
- Original Doberman (1994)
- Boombastic (1995)
- Midnite Lover (1997)
- Hot Shot (2000)
- Lucky Day (2002)
- Clothes Drop (2005)
- Intoxication (2007)
- Shaggy & Friends (2011)
- Summer in Kingston (2011)
- Rise (2012)
- Out of Many, One Music (2013)
- Wah Gwaan?! (2019)
References[change | change source]
- "Shaggy – Biography of Shaggy". PoemHunter.com. November 3, 2012. Retrieved November 3, 2012.
- Hollomon, Danielle (October 12, 1995). "Scooby Doo, Y'all: A Q&A with Shaggy, pop reggae's self-appointed spearhead". Phoenix News Times. Retrieved October 27, 2015.
- "10 People You Didn't Know Were U.S. Marines". US Naval Institute. Retrieved October 11, 2015.