State Border Service
|Azərbaycan Respublikası Dövlət Sərhəd Xidməti|
|Formed||July 31, 2002|
The State Border Service of Azerbaijan Republic (Azerbaijani: Azərbaycan Respublikası Dövlət Sərhəd Xidməti) also known as Border Guard of Azerbaijan is a governmental law enforcement paramilitary agency in charge of protecting the borders of Azerbaijan.
History[change | change source]
The State Border Service of Azerbaijan was established on July 31, 2002 by the order of the President of Azerbaijan Heydar Aliyev, by taking of the border troops from jurisdiction of the Ministry of National Security of Azerbaijan. The main function of the border guard is to guard the Azerbaijani borders against any illegal acts, and to prevent illegal weapons, drugs and human trafficking in the country.
Maritime Brigade (Azerbaijani Coast Guard)[change | change source]
The Azerbaijan Coast Guard is an Azeri law enforcement agency which is a part of the State Border Service. It has been getting U.S. Coast Guard help including the buying of a Point-class cutter.
The commander is Major General Ilham Mehdiyev.
The Coast Guard was established within the State Border Service by presidential order in 2005. The Coast Guard’s new base was built in Türkan district of Baku within the State Program on “Technical development of security of state borders of the Republic of Azerbaijan in 2006-2010”.
The Maritime Brigade/Coast Guard has one Point class cutter, S 14 (ex Point Brower, transferred 28 February 2003), one Osa class missile boat, S 008, which has had its SS-N-2B missiles removed, 3 Stenka class patrol boats, S 005, S 006, and S 007, all with sonar and torpedo tubes removed, 1 Zhuk class patrol craft, P 222, and two 48 foot (15 m) long Silver Ships small craft, S 11 and S 12. (Jane's Fighting Ships 2010)
Related pages[change | change source]
- Military history of Azerbaijan
- Azerbaijani Armed Forces
- Azerbaijani Land Force
- Azerbaijani Air Force
- Azerbaijani Navy
- Internal Troops of Azerbaijan
- Azerbaijani National Guard
Other websites[change | change source]
- Official website (in Azerbaijani)
- Azerbaijantoday.com. Azerbaijan border service has covered a long way of development, 07.09.2009
- News.az. State Border Service ships rescue Russian ship Archived 2011-10-09 at the Wayback Machine
- Defenselink.mil. Caspian Guard initiative
References[change | change source]
- "Iranian & Azerbaijani border guards to have a meeting". Trend.az. 2 October 2009.
- The Presidential Decree "On establishment of the State Border Service of Azerbaijan Republic" dated July 31, 2002
- "Ministry of Defense of the Republic of Azerbaijan". Retrieved 2022-04-23.
- "II. Country Assessments and Performance Measures - Azerbaijan". U.S. Department of State.
- "Turkey, Azerbaijan Coast Guard Commandants Meet in Ankara". Archived from the original on 2012-03-20. Retrieved 2011-11-27.
- "State Border Service of Azerbaijan will carry out large-scale exercises in September". Archived from the original on 2011-10-08. Retrieved 2011-11-27.