|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1970s 1980s 1990s – 2000s – 2010s 2020s 2030s|
|Years:||1999 2000 2001 – 2002 – 2003 2004 2005|
Events[change | change source]
- January 1 – The Treaty on Open Skies, initially signed in 1992, officially enters into force.
- January 1 – Euro notes and coins started to be used in France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Greece, Finland, Luxembourg, Belgium, Austria, the Republic of Ireland, and the Netherlands.
- January 5 – A light aircraft crashes into a Tampa, Florida building, bringing fear of a repeat September 11, 2001 attacks.
- January 10 – Enrique Bolaños became the President of the Republic of Nicaragua.
- January 16 – The UN Security Council agreed to forbid selling arms to Osama bin Laden, Al-Qaida, and the Taliban and freezes their assets.
- January 17 – Mount Nyiragongo in the Democratic Republic of the Congo erupts, leaving about 400,000 people without a home.
- January 23 – Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl is kidnapped in Pakistan, accused of being a CIA agent.
- January 31 – A large section of the Antarctic Larsen Ice Shelf begins breaking up, eventually consuming about 3,250 km² (1,254 miles²) after 35 days.
- February 8-24 – The 19th Olympic Winter Games were held in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- April 28 – Green Party of Pakistan is formed
Nobel prize winners[change | change source]
- Chemistry – John B. Fenn
- Chemistry – Koichi Tanaka
- Chemistry – Kurt Wüthrich
- Economics – Daniel Kahneman
- Economics – Vernon L. Smith
- Literature – Imre Kertész
- Medicine – Sydney Brenner
- Medicine – H. Robert Horvitz
- Medicine – John E. Sulston
- Peace – Jimmy Carter
- Physics – Raymond Davis Jr.
- Physics – Riccardo Giacconi
- Physics – Masatoshi Koshiba
Deaths[change | change source]
- January 8 – Dave Thomas, founder of Wendy's fast food chain (b. 1932)
- February 13 – Waylon Jennings, American country music singer (b. 1937)
- April 5 – Layne Staley, American singer (Alice in Chains) (b. 1967)
- May 18 – Davey Boy Smith, British professional wrestler (b. 1962)
- December 22 – Joe Strummer, British musician (The Clash) (b. 1952)
Movies released[change | change source]
- Collateral Damage
- Die Another Day
- Gangs of New York
- Punch-Drunk Love
- The Pianist
- 8 Mile
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
- The Master of Disguise
Hit Songs[change | change source]
- Don't Say Goodbye – Paulina Rubio
- Escape – Enrique Iglesias
- I'm Gonna Be Alright - Jennifer Lopez
- Lose Yourself – Eminem
- A Thousand Miles – Vanessa Carlton
- Beautiful – Christina Aguilera
- Somewhere Out There – Our Lady Peace
- Everyday – Bon Jovi
- Headstrong – Trapt
- Up! – Shania Twain
- Landslide – Dixie Chicks
- Cry – Faith Hill
References[change | change source]
- International Olympic Committee (2009). "Salt Lake City 2002 Winter Olympics". Retrieved 01 October 2010. Check date values in:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2002.|