|Centuries:||19th century – 20th century – 21st century|
|Decades:||1950s 1960s 1970s – 1980s – 1990s 2000s 2010s|
|Years:||1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989|
|Categories:||Births – Deaths – Architecture
Establishments – Disestablishments
The 1980s was the decade that started on January 1, 1980 and ended on December 31, 1989.
This decade (group of ten years) is sometimes called the "Greed decade" in English speaking countries. Unlike the 1960s and 1970s, this is when the word yuppie was used to describe "young urban professionals" – young adults who lived in cities and started to get good jobs. This was also the rise of a more conservative period in these countries – Ronald Reagan was president for most of this time in the United States, Margaret Thatcher was the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, and Brian Mulroney was Prime Minister of Canada.
This decade also saw the Soviet Union fight a war that seemed endless in Afghanistan, civil war in Ethiopia, and the fall of the Berlin Wall which started the end of the Cold War and of Communism in Eastern Europe.
The "eighties" are also well known for their extreme fashions, such as "big hair", New Wave, punk rock, funk, or preppies. Rap music first started to get big in the 80s, and often went with breakdancing in what is now called the "old school" days. Many developments were also made in computer technology during these years, and video games became popular.
In sports, Italy and Argentina won the FIFA World Cup. The Philadelphia Phillies, Los Angeles Dodgers, St. Louis Cardinals, Baltimore Orioles, Detroit Tigers, Kansas City Royals, New York Mets, Minnesota Twins and Oakland Athletics won the World Series. The Pittsburgh Steelers, Oakland Raiders, San Francisco 49ers, Washington Redskins, Los Angeles Raiders, Chicago Bears and New York Giants won the Super Bowl. Finally, the Los Angeles Lakers dominated the NBA, with only the Houston Rockets winning a title.
Important events[change | change source]
- Iran-Iraq War
- Solidarity movement in Poland
- Glasnost and Perestroika reforms in the Soviet Union
- 1981 – AIDS is discovered for the first time.
- 1981 – Assassination attempts are made on Ronald Reagan and Pope John Paul II.
- 1982 – Falklands War between Argentina and the United Kingdom
- 1986 – The Challenger Space Shuttle explodes.
- 1986 – End of Marcos regime in the Philippines
- 1986 – The Chernobyl accident happens in Ukraine because of a test that went wrong. It is the second-largest known nuclear accident, after the Mayak accident in 1957. It is also one of the biggest disasters for the environment. Many people died.
- 1989 – Japanese Emperor Hirohito dies.
- 1989 – Tiananmen Square massacre
- 1989 – The Berlin Wall is torn down.
Important people[change | change source]
- Pope John Paul II, Pope in the 1980s
- Elizabeth II, British queen since 1953
- Hirohito, Emperor of Japan from 1926 to 1989
- Akihito, Emperor of Japan since 1989
- Jimmy Carter, President of the United States from 1977 to 1981
- Ronald Reagan, President of the USA from 1981 to 1989
- George H. W. Bush, President of the United States from 1989 to 1993
- Margaret Thatcher, British Prime Minister from 1979 to 1990
- Helmut Schmidt, German chancellor until 1982
- Helmut Kohl, German chancellor from 1982 to 1998
- Saddam Hussein, President of Iraq
- Arnold Schwarzenegger, Austrian actor
- Sylvester Stallone, American actor
- Michael Jordan, American basketball-player
- Madonna, singer
- Michael Jackson, American singer
- Bob Geldof, musician and fundraiser
- Iron Maiden, British heavy metal band
- Corazon Aquino, President of the Philippines
- Indira Gandhi, prime minister of India until 1984
- Rajiv Gandhi, prime minister of India from 1984 until 1989
- Lech Walesa, leader of Polish Solidarity movement
- Ayatollah Khomeini, leader of Iran
- Mikhail Gorbachev, the last chairman of the communist party of the Soviet Union.
- Sandra Day O'Connor, the first woman on the Supreme Court, from Arizona.
- Terry Fox, running across most of Canada in his Marathon of Hope.
- Hulk Hogan, American pro-wrestler and actor