|Centuries:||19th century – 20th century – 21st century|
|Decades:||1930s 1940s 1950s – 1960s – 1970s 1980s 1990s|
|Years:||1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969|
|Categories:||Births – Deaths – Architecture|
Establishments – Disestablishments
The 1960s was the decade that began on January 1, 1960 and ended on December 31, 1969. It is distinct from the decade known as the 197th decade, which began on January 1, 1961 and ended on December 31, 1970. Many things happened in the sixties, including the Space Race, the Civil Rights Movement, and the Vietnam War.
The 1960s term also refers to an era more often called the Sixties. This was a set of cultural and political trends around the globe. This "cultural decade" is loosely defined as beginning around 1963 and ending around 1974.
The social revolution of the 1960s was part of a wider counterculture. Old ways were changed, new ways taken up. Typical was the introduction of the birth control pill, and its effect on sexual activity, widespread use of certain drugs and a general disrespect for traditional ways.
Pop art also started in the 1960s.
Events[change | change source]
- Decolonization of much of Africa
- 1961 - Yuri Gagarin is first human in the space during Soviet Vostok 1 mission.
- 1961 – Berlin Wall built.
- 1961 – Bay of Pigs invasion.
- 1962 – Cuban Missile Crisis.
- 1963 – Assassination of John F. Kennedy on November 22.
- 1965 – Indiainvades Pakistan on September 6.
- 1967 - Six-Day War.
- 1968 – Warsaw Pact invasion of Czechoslovakia.
- 1969 – Under the Apollo 11 program Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin become the first humans on the Moon.
- Unix created.
Important people[change | change source]
Actor[change | change source]
- Cary Grant, British-American actor
- Charles Boyer, French actor
- Dana Andrews, American actor
- Fred Astaire, American actor
- Fred MacMurray, American actor
- Gene Reynolds, American actor
- James Stewart, American actor
- Kirk Douglas, American actor
- Melvyn Douglas, American actor
- Paul Newman, American actor
- Sean Connery, Scottish actor
- Robert Taylor, American actor
- Spencer Tracy, American actor
- Toshirō Mifune, Japanese actor
- William Holden, American actor
Actress[change | change source]
- Anita Ekberg, Swedish actress
- Audrey Hepburn, British-Belgian actress
- Ava Gardner, American actress
- Barbara Stanwyck, American actress
- Bibi Ferreira, Brazilian actress
- Deborah Kerr, British actress
- Donna Reed, American actress
- Doris Day, American actress
- Fay McKenzie, American actress
- Gene Tierney, American actress
- Ginger Rogers, American actress
- Gloria Swanson, American actress
- Ingrid Bergman, Swedish actress
- Janet Leigh, American actress
- Judy Garland, American actress
- Katharine Hepburn, American actress
- Lana Turner, American actress
- Lauren Bacall, American actress
- Machiko Kyō, Japanese actress
- Mai Zetterling, Swedish actress
- Marilyn Monroe, American actress
- Monica Vitti, Italian actress
- Muriel Pavlow, British actress
- Olivia de Havilland, American actress
- Peggy Stewart, American actress
Director[change | change source]
- Alfred Hitchcock, British movie director
- Federico Fellini, Italian movie director
- Orson Welles, American director
- Stanley Kubrick, American movie director
Footballer[change | change source]
Musician[change | change source]
- Bob Dylan, American recording artist
- Elvis Presley, American singer
- Joan Baez, American singer
- Jimi Hendrix, American guitarist
World Leader[change | change source]
- Mao Zedong, Chairman of the Communist Party of China
- Gamal Abdel Nasser, President of Egypt
- Charles de Gaulle, President of France
- Georges Pompidou, President of France
- Konrad Adenauer, Chancellor of Germany
- Ludwig Erhard, Chancellor of Germany
- Kurt Georg Kiesinger, Chancellor of Germany
- Willy Brandt, Chancellor of Germany
- Jawaharlal Nehru, Prime Minister of India
- Lal Bahadur Shastri, Prime Minister of India
- Indira Gandhi, Prime Minister of India
- Levi Eshkol, Prime Minister of Israel
- Abdul Rahman of Negeri Sembilan
- Hisamuddin of Selangor
- Putra of Perlis
- Ismail Nasiruddin of Terengganu
- Pope John XXIII until 1963
- Pope Paul VI since 1963
- Chiang Kai-shek, President of the Republic of China
- Nikita Khruschev, Leader of Soviet Union
- Leonid Brezhnev, Leader of Soviet Union
- Bhumibol Adulyadej, King of Thailand
- Harold Macmillan, Prime Minister of United Kingdom
- Alec Douglas-Home, Prime Minister of United Kingdom
- Harold Wilson, Prime Minister of United Kingdom
- John F. Kennedy, President of the United States
- Lyndon Johnson, President of the United States
- Richard Nixon, President of the United States
- Ho Chi Minh, President of Vietnam