President of India
|President of India|
|Style||Hon'ble President |
|Term length||Five years, renewable|
|Inaugural holder||Rajendra Prasad|
26 January 1950
26 January 1950
|Salary||1.5 lakh (US$2,600) (monthly)|
|Website||President of India|
The English used in this article or section may not be easy for everybody to understand.
The President of India is the head of state of the Republic of India. The current president were Ram Nath Kovind, who was sworn in on 25 July 2017. He succeeded Pranab Mukherjee.The President resides in an estate known as the Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.
Qualifications[change | change source]
A President must be:
• A citizen of India
• At least 35 years old
• A person shall not be eligible for election as President if he holds any office of profit under the Government of India or the Government of any State or under any local or other authority subject to the control of any of the said Governments.
• The name of the candidate desiring to be the President must be proposed by at least 10 electors and seconded by another 10 of the Electoral College.
Vacancy in the Office of President[change | change source]
The Office of the President falls vacant in the following scenarios:
• On the expiry of their term
• By reason of death
• By reason of resignation
• Removal by Supreme Court
• Removal by impeachment
The Vice-President of India will have to discharge the duties, if the Office falls vacant due to any reason other than expiry of the term. when vacancies occur in the offices of the President and of the Vice-President simultaneously, the Chief Justice discharges the functions of the President until a newly elected President.
List of Presidents[change | change source]
Living former Presidents[change | change source]
There are two living former Indian presidents:
References[change | change source]
- "'His Excellency' to Go: Prez Approves New Protocol". Outlook India. 9 October 2012. Retrieved 9 October 2012.
- "President okays her own salary hike by 300 per cent". The Indian Express. 3 January 2009. Retrieved 6 May 2012.