|President of the|
Republic of Singapore
|Style||Madam President (informal)|
Her Excellency (formal, diplomatic)
|Appointer||Elected by Parliament (1965–1991)|
|Term length||6 years; renewable|
|Constituting instrument||Constitution of Singapore, Article 17|
|Inaugural holder||Yusof Ishak|
|Formation||9 August 1965|
The President of the Republic of Singapore is the country's head of state. Singapore has a parliamentary system of government. Executive authority is exercised by the Cabinet who was led by the Prime Minister of Singapore. The current president is Halimah Yacob, who is the Singapore's first female president, who was elected unopposed at the 2017 presidential election.
The president's official residence and office is the Istana. However, no presidents since Yusof bin Ishak (1965–1970) have lived there. The current president, Halimah Yacob, had wanted to stay in the HDB flat at Yishun, but if she fails to comply with the security requirements, she will have to move out. She is also the first female President of Singapore and first Malay head of state in 47 years since the death of Mr Yusof bin Ishak who was Singapore's first president.
List of presidents[change | change source]
|No.||Portrait||President||Prior Office||Term of office||Elected|
|Took office||Left office||Time in office|
யூசோஃப் பின் இஷாக்
يوسف بن إسحاق
|Yang di-Pertuan Negara||9 August 1965||23 November 1970
|5 years, 106 days||Elected by Parliament|
|During this interval, the Speaker of Parliament, Yeoh Ghim Seng, was installed by Parliament as Acting President.||40 days||—|
பெஞ்சமின் ஹென்றி ஷியர்ஸ்
|Physician (general practitioner)||2 January 1971||12 May 1981
|10 years, 131 days||Elected by Parliament|
|During this interval, Speaker of Parliament, Yeoh Ghim Seng was installed by Parliament as Acting President.||165 days||—|
|3||C.V. Devan Nair
சி.வி தேவன் நாயர்
|Member of Parliament for Anson||23 October 1981||28 March 1985
|3 years, 157 days||Elected by Parliament|
|During this interval, Chief Justice Wee Chong Jin was installed by Parliament as Acting President.||2 days||—|
|During this interval, Speaker of Parliament, Yeoh Ghim Seng was installed by Parliament as Acting President.||158 days||—|
|4||Wee Kim Wee
வீ கிம் வீ
|Ambassador to South Korea||2 September 1985||1 September 1993
|8 years||Elected by Parliament|
|5||Ong Teng Cheong
ஓங் டெங் சியோங்
|Deputy Prime Minister||1 September 1993||31 August 1999||6 years||1993|
|6||S. R. Nathan
|Ambassador to the United States||1 September 1999
|31 August 2005||12 years||1999|
|1 September 2005
|31 August 2011||2005|
|7||Tony Tan Keng Yam
டோனி டான் கெங் யாம்
|Deputy Prime Minister||1 September 2011||31 August 2017||6 years||2011|
|During this interval, the Chairman of the Council of Presidential Advisers, J. Y. Pillay, served as Acting President.||15 days||—|
ஹலிமா பின்தி யாகொப்
|Speaker of Parliament||14 September 2017||Incumbent
(Term expires 13 September 2023)
|5 years, 134 days||2017|
- Died in office of natural causes.
- After the Constitution was amended in 1991, the term of President Wee was fixed to end on 1 September 1993.
- S.R. Nathan was returned unopposed on Nomination Day in 1999 and 2005.
References[change | change source]
- "Security stepped up at President-elect Halimah's Yishun housing block". Today. 13 September 2017. Retrieved 14 September 2017.
- Former Presidents, Istana Singapore: Office of the President of the Republic of Singapore, 28 April 2006, archived from the original on 1 August 2008, retrieved 24 January 2009.
- President S R Nathan, Istana Singapore: Office of the President of the Republic of Singapore, 4 May 2006, archived from the original on 22 August 2008, retrieved 24 January 2009.
- Elgin Toh (1 September 2017), "Pillay takes on role of acting president: CPA chairman will fill post until after Polling Day on Sept 23, or Nomination Day on Sept 13", The Straits Times, p. A9.