Stamkos with the Lightning in 2013
|Born||February 7, 1990
|Height||6 ft 0 in (183 cm)|
|Weight||195 lb (88 kg; 13 st 13 lb)|
|NHL team||Tampa Bay Lightning|
|NHL Draft||1st overall, 2008
Tampa Bay Lightning
Steven Christopher Stamkos (born February 7, 1990, in Markham, Ontario) is a Canadian professional ice hockey centre. He currently plays for the Tampa Bay Lightning of the National Hockey League (NHL) where he serves as their captain.
Career[change | change source]
Before playing in the NHL, Stamkos played two seasons with the Sarnia Sting of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). During his time with Sarnia, Stamkos was able to win the Jack Ferguson Award in 2006 for being the top draft pick in the Ontario Hockey League Priority Selection Draft and the Bobby Smith Trophy in 2007 for Scholastic Player of the Year.
He was drafted by the Tampa Bay Lightning with the 1st overall pick in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. He won the Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy in 2010 and 2012. Stamkos broke his tibia in a game against the Boston Bruins on November 11, 2013. His left skate hit the post of the Bruins' net before his right leg hit the post. He tried to stand up twice but fell down in pain. He was then stretchered out of the arena to applause from the crowd. He successfully had surgery on his right tibia in Boston on November 12, 2013. He was hoping to play for 2014 Canadian Olympic Hockey Team after being named to the team but was unable after a CT scan determined that he could not play.
References[change | change source]
- "Lightning select Stamkos first overall at NHL draft". Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 2014-2-11. Check date values in:
- "Maurice Richard Trophy: Past Recipients". NHL. Retrieved 2014-2-11. Check date values in:
- "Star Tampa Bay centre Steven Stamkos out with broken leg". NHL. Retrieved 2014-2-11. Check date values in:
- "Lightning's Stamkos has successful surgery". NHL. Retrieved 2014-2-11. Check date values in:
- "Stamkos won't participate in Sochi Olympics". NHL. Retrieved 2014-2-11. Check date values in: