|113 genera, 897 species|
Tarantula is the common name for a group of "hairy" and often very large spiders belonging to the family Theraphosidae, of which approximately 900 species have been found. Some tarantulas hunt prey in trees and some hunt on the ground. All tarantulas can make silk. They use silk to make shelters like tube tents in trees, to line burrows if they live on the ground, and they all use silk to wrap up prey before they eat it. It is easy to see a tarantula turning around and around in one spot with the prey in its mouth, but it is hard to see the silk coming out because it is small in diameter (thickness) and transparent. These spiders are found in warmer regions around the world. Tarantulas' predators are normally big snakes or creatures such as the Tarantula Eating Wasp. Defenses are camouflage and fangs.
References[change | change source]
- S. B. Reichling & R. C. West (1996). "A new genus and species of theraphosid spider from Belize (Araneae, Theraphosidae)" (PDF). Journal of Arachnology. 24: 254–261.
- R. R. Raven (2005). "A new tarantula species from northern Australia (Araneae, Theraphosidae)" (PDF). Zootaxa. 1004: 15–28. doi:10.11646/zootaxa.1004.1.2.
Other websites[change | change source]
- International Societies
- American Tarantula Society Headquarters
- The British Tarantula Society
- German Arachnologic Society
- The Australian Tarantula Association Archived 2006-12-05 at the Wayback Machine
- American Societies
- SFBATS - San Francisco Bay Area Tarantula Society Archived 2008-04-09 at the Wayback Machine
- N-TEC · Nebraska Tarantula Enthusiasts Club Archived 2007-01-26 at the Wayback Machine
- MTTG · Middle Tennessee Tarantula Group[permanent dead link]
- Other sites
- Tarantulas.us - Forums Archived 2008-05-13 at the Wayback Machine - Tarantula Discussion Boards and Caresheets.
- Arachnoboards - Arachnid discussion board
- Tarantula care - Gallery of tarantulas and other arachnids.
- Tarantulas.us - Gallery Archived 2007-01-10 at the Wayback Machine - Photo gallery of tarantula's species.
- How to Pick a tarantula and Care for a tarantula
- Birdspiders.com - Rick C. West's Site. Includes a gallery of tarantula pictures by species in alphabetical order.
- Caresheets of several tarantula species Archived 2008-04-08 at the Wayback Machine
- Information on tarantulas, scorpions, and other invertebrates
- Stanley A. Schultz and Marguerite J. Schultz, "Common and scientific name correlations of the theraphosid tarantulas", University of Calgary Archived 2006-07-19 at the Wayback Machine
- Tarantulas Photo Gallery Tarantula photos (Mexican Red Knee, Green Bottle Blue, Salmon Pink etc.)