The Dark Side of the Moon
|The Dark Side of the Moon|
|Studio album by Pink Floyd|
|Released||17 March 1973|
|Recorded||June 1972 – January 1973 at Abbey Road Studios in London, England|
|Label||Harvest, Capitol, EMI|
|Pink Floyd chronology|
History[change | change source]
It was released in 1973 and is their ninth album. It is one of the most famous albums of all time, frequently placing in the top five whenever a rock music authority makes a list of the greatest albums of all time.
Cover[change | change source]
Its cover, which features a ray of white light going through a prism, is also one of the most famous album covers of all time. Analysts say that statistically, Dark Side Of The Moon is always playing somewhere on planet Earth. It is one of the most famous concept albums (albums where all the songs are about a central theme. Some concept albums tell a specific story), and used to be the best-selling album of all time. There is an album-pressing plant in Germany that does nothing but create copies of Dark Side Of The Moon[source?].
Wizard of Oz[change | change source]
Some say that when synchronized with the movie The Wizard of Oz, there are many similarities between the two.
Sales[change | change source]
The Dark Side of the Moon became one of the best-selling albums of all time. It is in the top 25 of a list of best selling albums in the United States. It held the number one spot in the US for only a week. But, it remained in the Billboard album chart for a total of 778 weeks (nearly 14 years). This is the longest any album has spent on the Billboard charts. The album came back on the Billboard charts when the Top Pop Catalog Albums chart was introduced in May 1991. It has stayed there since then. In the UK it is the sixth-best-selling album of all time.
Track listing[change | change source]
All lyrics written by Roger Waters.
|1.||"Speak to Me"||Nick Mason||1:30|
|2.||"Breathe"||David Gilmour, Roger Waters, Richard Wright||2:43|
|3.||"On the Run"||Gilmour, Waters||3:30|
|4.||"Time"||Gilmour, Waters, Wright, Mason||6:53|
|5.||"The Great Gig in the Sky"||Wright, Clare Torry*||4:15|
|2.||"Us and Them"||Waters, Wright||7:34|
|3.||"Any Colour You Like"||Gilmour, Wright, Mason||3:24|
References[change | change source]
- Pattaya Mail, PF Dsotm
- Karas, Kristen (2010/02/08). "'Wizard of Oz', Pink Floyd combine". The Daily Collegian Online. Retrieved 2010-04-09. Check date values in:
- Werde, Bill (13 May 2006), Floyd's 'Dark Side' Celebrates Chart Milestone, Billboard, p. 12, retrieved 17 March 2009
- Top 100 Albums, riaa.com, retrieved 17 March 2009
- Billboard records, billboard.com, retrieved 31 August 2011
- Basham, David (15 November 2001), Got Charts? Britney, Linkin Park Give Peers A Run For Their Sales Figures, mtv.com, retrieved 30 March 2009
- Best Selling UK Albums of All Time (PDF), bpi.co.uk, retrieved 15 August 2009