Theodore John "Ted" Kaczynski (born May 22, 1942 in Evergreen Park, Illinois) is an American mathematician and serial murderer. He was known as The Unabomber. Between 1978 and 1995, Kaczynski engaged in a nationwide bombing campaign against people involved with modern technology, planting or mailing numerous home-made bombs, ultimately killing a total of three people and injuring 23 others.
Kaczynski was born and raised in Evergreen Park, Illinois, a Chicago suburb. Kaczynski was accepted to Harvard University at the age of 16. He earned an undergraduate degree. He then earned a PhD in mathematics from the University of Michigan. He became an assistant professor at the University of California, Berkeley in 1967 at age 25. He resigned two years later.
In 1971, he moved to a cabin without electricity or running water, in Lincoln, Montana. He lived there while learning survival skills. From 1978 to 1995, Kaczynski sent 16 bombs to targets including universities and airlines, killing three people and injuring 23.
Kaczynski was arrested in his cabin on April 3, 1996. His brother, David, called the police so that they could arrest him. He pleaded guilty for his crimes on January 22, 1998. He is an inmate of ADX Florence, Fremont County, Colorado.
References[change | change source]
- Kaczynski identified himself as an anarchist, although few anarchists accept this claim. On his own views see … claimed to be from 'the anarchist group calling ourselves FC. ... Kaczynski was a disenchanted mathematics professor turned anarchist. Sue Mahan, Pamala L. Griset (2007). Terrorism in Perspective. Sage Publications.
- "Interview with Ted Kaczynski, Administrative Maximum Facility Prison, Florence, Colorado, USA". Earth First Journal!. June 1999. Archived from the original on March 18, 2009. https://web.archive.org/web/20090318135703/http://www.insurgentdesire.org.uk/tedk.htm. Retrieved March 18, 2009.
- "U.s Seizes Unabomber Suspect". Chicago Tribune.com. April 4, 1996. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- New York Times
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Theodore Kaczynski at Wikimedia Commons
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Theodore Kaczynski|
- Published Works of Theodore Kaczynski – mathematical papers
- The Unabomber Manifesto
- Kaczynski's letter to the writers of the book, American Terrorist, about Timothy McVeigh
- Text of Unabomber's Letter Received by N.Y. Times April 26, 1995
- Text of Letter from Unabomber to Dr. David Gelernter
- Letter to a Turkish anarchist
- The Unabomber's family photo album – Chicago Tribune