Thesis Types[change | change source]
There are different types of thesis paper for different fields, for example, if you are an English major then for your thesis you can be asked to write a short story, a media student can be asked to submit a short film.
A graduate thesis also known as graduate dissertation is something a student works on with a member of the faculty who has specialized in the relevant field. A dissertation is 50-100 pages long. In fields such as science, it is based on an experiment whereas, for humanities, it is an extended version of your college paper.
History[change | change source]
Originally, the words "dissertation" and "thesis" had separate meanings. When, at ancient universities, the professor had completed his lecture, there would be a disputation. During this, students could take up certain points and argue them. The position that one took during a disputation was the thesis, while the dissertation was the line of reasoning with which one supported it.
Etymology[change | change source]
Other websites[change | change source]
- en.wikibooks.org/wiki/ETD_Guide Guide to electronic theses and dissertations on Wikibooks
- Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (NDLTD)
- How to write a PhD thesis with mind maps (tutorial).
- Free thesis indexing service
- EThOS Database Database of Theses available through the British Library