This article does not have any sources. (August 2009)
A trench is a long, narrow ditch.
Trench warfare has often been used in defense. Entrenched soldiers can be somewhat safe from enemy fire. Trench warfare made World War I longer than expected. The trench coat got its name from there.
Several kinds of trench exist:
- Utility trench has pipes, wires, or other infrastructure
- Road trench carries vehicles
- Military trench provides shelter for soldiers shooting at each other
- Oceanic trench: For example, the Mariana Trench
- Rift valley
- Archaeological trench dug by archaeologists