|This article does not have any sources. (August 2009)|
Trench warfare was used in World War I. It was supposed to be a short term barrier so that soldiers would be safe from enemy fire when they could no longer advance. However they ended up as a long term shelter throughout the war as they were easy to defend and neither side could successfully commandeer their oppositions trenches. The trench coat got its name from there.
Several kinds of trench exist:
- Utility trench has pipes, wires, or other infrastructure
- Road trench carries vehicles
- Military trench provides shelter for soldiers shooting at each other
- Geological trench: For example the Mariana Trench
- Archaeological trench dug by archaeologists