Tu Sooraj Main, Saanjh Piyaji
Tu Sooraj Main Saanjh Piyaji was a 2017 Indian television soap opera that aired on Star Plus. The Show stars Rhea Sharma and Avinesh Rekhi and is the sequel to the series Diya Aur Baati Hum. Neelu Vaghela, Ashok Lokhande, and Kanika Maheshwari reprise their roles from that series.
PLOT / STORY[change | change source]
The story is based o the life of the children of Sooraj and Sandhya, focusing on their daughter, Kanak. Her grandmother Bhabho ignores and looks down upon Kanak because according to her, Kanak is to blame for her (Kanak's) parents' death, but later upon realising her love for Kanak, Bhabho accepts her as family. Later, Kanak gets married to a superstitious but good-hearted gentleman, named Uma Shankar. He is a blind believer in morals taught by his greedy and hypocrite maternal aunt, Nanda Devi. Kanak sets off on a journey with Uma Shankar, who is her perfect opposite, to teach him the greatest moral of life - humanity - while she is criticized by Palomi and repeatedly harmed by Maasi Saa, and later, her lewd son, Aditya. In the process, she herself falls in love with Uma after establishing herself as the perfect wife for him. In a subplot taking place in Bangkok, Uma and Kanak plot to expose Maasi Saa and Aditya, and prove that Palomi is alive. They succeed in doing so and are about to live happily until Uma shockingly marries Meera Mittal, daughter of a rich businessman for some unknown reason, ditching Kanak.
The story then takes a two-year leap and Kanak eventually reappears in Uma's life, who is now shown as a successful business tycoon. After a lot of misunderstandings, it is revealed that Uma still loves Kanak and he was actually blackmailed and forced into marrying Meera to save his sister Suman's life. Meera gets mad with jealousy and vows to destroy Kanak’s life. She alongside Aditya tries many heinous ways to separate the duo including attempting to marry off Kanak to a man who is also after her, but fails every time and eventually gets arrested thanks to a cunning plan made by Kanak. Aditya also realises his mistake and has a change of heart, becoming loyal towards his brother. Kanak gets rid of her hatred towards Uma and the couple are united again. It is then that Maasi Saa comes out of jail with the same evil intention of decimating the protagonists.
Saras (Uma's sister) meanwhile suffers an unfortunate miscarriage, and seeing Uma's grief over the matter Kanak with the help of Aditya launches a Bike Ambulance so that every emergency patient gets admitted to the hospital as quickly as possible. But this noble idea creates many enemies for Uma and Kanak from the very outset and Dr. Parag, Dean of Pratistha Medical College joins hands with Maasi Saa to cancel Uma's license so that he can use the idea to flourish his own Medical College and take the credit wholly upon himself. Kanak decides to study Paramedicals and become a doctor herself to save the license from being cancelled and no one can label her as amateur when she treats any patient. After facing several hurdles and hindrances in the college set up by Dr. Parag himself, she at last succeeds in removing the mask out of Dr. Parag's face, unveiling his true nature in front of the public and gets him behind bars. It is revealed before that Maasi Saa was ill-treated by Dr. Parag while in jail, and she was planning for revenge ever since she got out of jail. She later stops plotting against Uma and Kanak and becomes kind towards them.
Uma at this time receives a fake call and gets attacked by some goons who also trashes his Bike Ambulance. He recovers some months later, but loses his memory and to everyone's surprise turns into that same superstitious person he used to be before. He asks Kanak to either choose him or to pursue the Paramedics course as he is against the idea of her studying. However, Kanak chooses to continue her dream of becoming a doctor. Uma supports her decision and Aditya then reveals that it was Uma's plan all along to infuse some confidence and passion inside Kanak which she was lacking hitherto, and that he never lost his memory. With her husband at her side, the story finally ends on a happy note as Kanak sets off for her new career with the blessings of Bhabo and other elders.
Remakes[change | change source]
Because of it's Popularity it is remaded in several language . It has been remaked in telegu as Agni Sakshi which airs on Maa TV . The series has also been remade in Bengali as Ardhangini which airs on STAR Jalsha.
Cast[change | change source]
Main cast[change | change source]
- Rhea Sharma as Kanak Sooraj Rathi / Kanak Uma Shankar Toshniwal - A free-spirited and cheerful girl who believes in women's empowerment and has an undaunted zeal to protect her loved ones from any harm, and a firm disposition in materializing her thoughts and perception regarding something, be it faith, religion or relationship. She wants to become a paramedical doctor.(2017-18)
- Avinesh Rekhi as Uma Shankar Toshniwal ("Uma") - An ayurvedic practitioner by profession and a blind believer in the faith and religion. However, his relationship with Kanak gradually changes, making him more cognizant of emotion and slowly uprooting the seeds of superstition/blind faith deeply embedded in his core. He is an honest, disciplined, and righteous person, Kanak's husband. (2017-18)
- Swati Kapoor as Saraswati Toshniwal / Saraswati Vansh Rathi ("Saras") - Uma's younger sister, Vansh's wife. A docile, kindhearted, and devotional girl who was trapped by Vansh after he feigned being in love with her in order to get revenge on Uma for marrying his sister, Kanak. Saras genuinely loves Vansh and desperately tries to make their marriage survive. Recently, their relationship has improved after Vansh's previous misunderstandings about her and Uma were cleared up. (2017-18)
- Kabeer Kumar as Vansh Sooraj Rathi - Kanak's elder brother and Ved's younger fraternal twin who is (unlike his twin) careless of his duties towards his household, unemployed, and can't financially contribute. He is often insensitive to others' feelings, and can easily misinterpret people and circumstances. He cares deeply for Kanak and goes to great lengths for her, but his efforts usually end up complicating matters. He is married to Saraswati Toshniwal. (2017-18)
- Mayank Arora as IPS Ved Sooraj Rathi - Kanak's elder brother, Vansh's elder fraternal twin and Payal's husband. An IPS officer like his mother Sandhya, who is wise in opinion and stable at job. He falls in love with Payal, and with the help of Kanak, successfully nullifies Payal's marriage with the devious Aditya, saves her and later marries her. (2017-18)
Shefali Singh Soni as Payal Aditya Modani / Payal Ved Rathi - Previously Aditya's wife (having been married to him against her will in childhood), Aditya's ex-wife, Ved's wife. She was insecure in her position as the daughter-in-law of the Toshniwal household upon the arrival of Kanak. She breifly plotted against her with her mother but later realized her mistake after she was aided by Kanak to move out of her loveless dysfunctional relationship with Aditya, and start life anew with her lover Ved (Kanak's brother). However, she is jealous and mean-minded by nature. (2017-18)
- Neelu Vaghela as Santosh Arun Rathi ("Bhabho") - Kanak's judicious and adamant grandmother with a strict demeanor, who often gives her relationship advice, especially in improving Uma's religious perspective; by giving rational guidance. She is the parallel lead character of the story. (2017-18)
- Sadiya Siddiqui as Nanda Devi Modani ("Maasi saa") - Uma's maternal aunt who is a hypocritical, opportunistic and cunning lady. As Uma's maternal aunt, she has taught him wrong morals and made him rigidly orthodox in opinion and lifestyle to maintain her importance in his life. This made it easy for her to reign over his property with her co-conspirator, her devious son Aditya. She is the main antagonist in Uma's life and his relationship with Kanak. (2017-18)
- Ayush Anand as Aditya Modani (aka Adi or Vicky) - Maasi saa's nefarious son and Payal's ex-husband who is cunning, lewd and greedy for money and other materialistic pleasures. He ran away from home at an early age to lead a lifestyle not bound by Uma's rules and regulations, and upon returning also tried to utilize Payal as a means to clear his debts. He could not succeed in his cruel intentions due to Kanak and Ved's interference. He was thrown in jail after his divorce from Payal but later he becomes good. (2017-18)
Recurring cast[change | change source]
Ashok Lokhande as Arun Rathi ("Baba saa") - Sooraj's father and Kanak's grandfather; a benevolent foodie who is at times forgetful and a bit foolish but has a deft touch with even the toughest situations and is the main emotional support behind the strength of his wife, Santosh "Bhabho". (2017-18) Uday Nene as Golu Vikram Rathi - Kanak, Ved and Vansh's elder cousin brother who is excessively attached to his mother Meena. (2017) Sheetal Pandya as Rani Golu Rathi - Golu's wife who previously worked as a maid servant to the Rathis and is just like her mother-in-law, Meena. (2017-18) Kanika Maheshwari as Meenakshi Vikram Rathi "Meena" - Vikram's wife and Kanak's aunt, she is cunning and to some extent greedy for money, outgoing and boisterous. She cares deeply for Kanak and her brother having raised them up as her own children. She had previously been traumatized by her husband's infidelity, which had been a lie to save her from the shock of their daughter, Mishri's, misconduct in having a child without being married. (2017) Rajeev Singh as Vikram Arun Rathi - Sooraj's brother and Kanak's uncle, he lied to his wife Meena about Pavan being his illegitimate child to hide their daughter's misconduct from her. He is like a father-figure to Ved, Vansh and Kanak. (2017) Madhura Naik as Palomi - A lady who has been given shelter at Uma's household, but has, over time, fallen in love with him and is now obsessed with Uma. She is thus a rival of Kanak and is favored by Maasi saa over Kanak. (2017-18) Hearty Singh as Shiv Toshniwal - Uma's younger cousin brother who is fond of Kanak. (2017-18) Mazel Vyas as Suman Toshniwal - Uma's studious and intelligent younger cousin sister. (2017-18) Vikas Grover as Arvind - Kanak's loyal friend. (2017) Kangna Sharma as Meera Mittal - an insane woman obsessed with Uma. (2018) Ankit Bathla as Akshay - a man who faked to love Kanak and wanted to destroy her life by marrying her. (2018) Unknown as Arpita - Akshay's elder sister who had great trust in Kanak. (2018) Abhaas Mehta as Dr. Parag Bansal - a corrupt and dishonest doctor who can go to any length for his profit. Dean of Pratistha Medical College. (2018) Sanjay Gandhi as Divya Jyoti Prakash - an imposter hired by Nanda to act as "Mausa saa" or her husband as part of her plan to trap Uma and Kanak. (2018) Honey Singh as Tiara, Classmate of Kanak in paramedical studies, Aditya's love interest. (2018) Anjali Khurana as Professor Madhavi. Supports Dr Parag and hates Kanak. (2018)
Guest stars[change | change source]
- Anas Rashid as Sooraj Rathi - Ved, Vansh and Kanak's father, who appeared in a dream sequence to motivate Kanak and also appeared in flashbacks
- Deepika Singh as Sandhya Rathi - Ved, Vansh and Kanak's mother (in flashbacks only).
- Gagan Malik as Bal Brahmachari