User:Oluseyi Makinde/Oluwaseyi Makinde
|This is not a Wikipedia article: It is one user's draft page that he or she is working on. It may be incomplete and/or unreliable.|
OLUWASEYI ABIODUN MAKINDE
Oluwaseyi Abiodun Makinde; born 25th December 1967 to a middle class family; is currently the Group Managing Director of Makon Group Nigeria Limited, which he founded. Oluwaseyi Makinde born in Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria; is a businessman, philanthropist and politician. Oluwaseyi Abiodun Makinde a seasoned Engineer is an alumnus of University of Lagos. He also attended Sloan School of Management-Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA where he is currently pursuing an advanced Certificate in Management and Leadership.
Oluwaseyi Makinde’s Makon Group has contributed in various ways in the Nigeria oil and gas industry by actively engaging in development and supporting Nigeria Local Content in the field of oil and gas contracting services.
He is active in politics, contesting for 2015 Oyo State governorship election on the platform of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
Early Life Influences and Education
Oluwaseyi Abiodun Makinde was born at Catholic Hospital Oluyoro, Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria to late Pa Olatubosun Makinde and Madam Abigail Makinde of Aigbofa Compound, Oja’ba Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria. He attended St Paul and later St Michael’s Primary School, Yemetu in Ibadan; Oyo State. Also, he attended Bishop Phillips Academy, Monatan Ibadan and the University of Lagos, Akoka Yaba, Lagos from where he graduated with a degree in Electrical Engineering in 1990.
He trained at Industrial Control Services in Houston, Texas in 1998 on Safety Shutdown System; and Development of Analytical Competence for Managing Operations at Lagos Business School (now Pan African University) in 1999. He also studied Fundamentals of Crude Sampling at Jiskoot Auto Control Training Centre, Kent England in 2002 and Understanding and Solving Complex Business Problems at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA in 2005.
Oluwaseyi Abiodun Makinde; the son of a renowned Teacher turned accountant, late Pa Olatunbosun Makinde; grew up in Ibadan; Oyo State and is a successful businessman. Oluwaseyi Makinde had the spirit of service instilled in him at an early age. He was involved in sports and community activities respectively. While in primary and secondary school, the young Oluwaseyi Makinde was selected to attend most of the school academic external events and this experience ignited his passion for public service. In 1985, after gaining admission into the University of Lagos; Oluwaseyi Makinde relocated to Lagos to attend University of Lagos and he graduated as an Electrical Engineer. While still at the University of Lagos; he did his internship (industrial attachment) at Nigerian Institute for Oil Palm Research (NIFOR) Benin City and at the Nigerian Breweries Limited(NBL), Ibadan.
Post-graduation, the young Oluwaseyi Makinde made several remarkable innovations specifically; the conversion of gas measurement devices to meet API 14.3 standard in Nigeria, a foundation that was laid with his undergraduate projects namely: Design and construction of a portable DC to AC converter (this was a mini project in his third year at the University of Lagos in 1988). Also; the designing of a microprocessor based DC motor controller as his final year project at the University of Lagos in 1990.
Oluwaseyi Makinde worked at Shell Petroleum Development Company for two years from 1990 to 1992 as a pupil engineer; handling and partaking in several key projects.
After gathering requisite and extensive knowledge; Oluwaseyi Makinde worked for Rebold International Limited as a field engineer cum assistant manager (Eket operations) from 1992-1997 where he designed, installed, supervised and commissioned several instrumentation and control projects. He is a subject matter expert on Fluid and Gas Metering.
In 1997; Oluwaseyi Makinde set up his private business called Makon Engineering and Technical Services Limited from the scratch. What is today known as Makon Group; began operations via her oldest subsidiary company, Makon Engineering and Technical Services Limited.
Makon Engineering and Technical Services Limited commenced business as an instrumentation, automation and control system outfit and have through the years grew to become one of the best Indigenous Engineering, Procurement, Installation, Commissioning, Operation and Maintenance (EPICOM) company servicing the Oil, Gas and Petrochemical companies. A modest man from humble beginnings; Oluwaseyi Makinde has been able to transform his infant company into a multi-Billion Naira business entity now known as Makon Group with global locations spanning across Africa (Nigeria and South Africa), Europe (United Kingdom) and United States of America (Houston Texas).
Oluwaseyi Makinde is a member of several national and international professional bodies notably; Nigeria Society of Engineers (NSE); Council For Regulations of Engineers in Nigeria (COREN); Oil and Gas Design Engineers of Nigeria (OGDEN); Instrument Society of America (ISA); Institute of Measurement and Control UK; America Measurement Institute (AMI) Sub Committee on Measurement Quality.
Oluwaseyi Makinde has made several efforts to ensure capable hands with the technocratic and political experience are supported to win elective offices so that society at large will be the better for it. He is a member of non-governmental organisation whose sole aim is to transform the state through electoral offices. He has always been of the opinion that “the good ones amongst us will lose the moral right to ask questions if politics is left to the old system who has brought us to the stagnancy and abject poverty that permeates all the spheres of our nation.
With a successful career in the business world; Oluwaseyi Makinde is now looking for a new and challenging call to publicly serve and give back to society. Though he contested for senatorial seat twice, he has become most sought after governorship aspirant in Oyo state today by the masses irrespective of their political leaning.
Currently, (2014), he is contesting for the Oyo State gubernatorial ticket under the People’s Democratic Party platform.
Makinde has credited the generosity and extensive philanthropy of his father as a major influence. Since his days at Makon Group, Makinde continues his philanthropy and, among other projects.
In 2000; Oluwaseyi Makinde paid a visit to his hometown, Ibadan and Alma mater, Bishop Philips Academy, Ibadan, Oyo State; where he saw the capital of old Western region which prides itself pace setter State in a state of disrepair and his former classroom in a very dilapidated state respectively. He offered to rebuild the classroom which he did in record time and this must have propelled his philanthropic works which are numerous.
Oluwaseyi Makinde built a block of three classrooms for his Alma Mata, Bishop Philip Academy and equipped the school with information and communication technology gadgets such as computers and installed 5KVA generator to power them in 2000.
Other Philanthropic works embarked on by this selfless individual include;
- Construction of Borehole at Oja-igbo junction Ibadan North –east in 2006.
- Construction of Borehole at Ogbere near Agugu, Ibadan, Ibadan North East in 2008.
- Construction of Borehole at Ajia Village Ibadan September 2011.
- Construction of block of classrooms for bishop Oyebode Memorial Primary School; Agugu in 2012.
- Provision of relief materials to fire disaster victims in Ibadan; Oyo State in 2013.
- Provision of electricity transformer at Soka an area in Oluyole Local Government Area; Oyo State in 2014.
- Electricity Transformer at Olode village Akobo Lagelu Local Government Area; Oyo state; February 2014.
- Renovation of Ibadan House, Ibadan North Local Government Area Ibadan in 2014.
- Oluwaseyi Makinde has also donated relief materials to some victims of flood and rains storm across Oyo State in 2014.
- The construction of the Olatunbosun Makinde Media and Agro Allied Hall in the Ajia Village Ona-ara Local Government Area; Ibadan; Oyo State.
- Construction of Gas powered turbine to generate independent power/electricity at Ajia Town in Ibadan, commissioned on September 17, 2011.
- Oluwaseyi Makinde gives out scholarships to outstanding students from Bishop Philip Academy, Ibadan. He has been empowering the less privileged youths and elderly in the society.
- Procurement of medical equipment and dispensing of medications to the aged. Sponsorship of medical team from United States of America to Nigeria.
- Sponsorship of the construction of website for the Federation of Ibadan Students Union
- The construction of programmable logic control (PLC) laboratory for his Alma Mata, the University of Lagos, Department of Electrical Engineering in 2011.
- Annual sponsorship of pilgrims to the Holy Land of Mecca and Jerusalem (Saudi Arabia and Israel respectively).
- Financed the construction of boreholes at various communities in Oyo State.
- Construction of blocks of classrooms at BOMAC Primary School Oremeji Agugu, Ibadan in 2012.
- Distribution of teaching and writing materials to the pupils of primary and secondary schools in Oyo State.
- Construction of Science Laboratory for the PEN Junior School Iyaganku Ibadan and also the Installation of Street Light at Bayo Oyeleke Street, Ikolaba Ibadan with 10KVA Generator.
Oluwaseyi Makinde has created several jobs for Oyo State indigenes through his Youth Empowerment programmes initiated in 2006 and according to him, he remains committed to helping Oyo State's private sector create 250,000 jobs by 2017.
Recognition and Awards
Makinde has made crucial contributions to the social, economic and educational development of Oyo State and he has been a recipient of various awards including;
- Nigerian Union of Journalists (Oyo State Council)-Laudable Contribution to Humanity Merit Award.
- National Association of Oke-Ogun Students (Ibadan)-Merit Award.
- Fiditi Grammar School (Oyo State)- Old Student Merit Award in appreciation to the commitment, dedication and service to the association and humanity.
- Junior Chamber International (JCI) University of Calabar Chapter.-Entrepreneurial Excellence Award.
- Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (Oyo State Chapter)-Gold Merit Award for immense and invaluable contribution to sports development.
- Nigerian Association of Social Workers Merit Awards (Oyo State Chapter)-Philanthropic gestures and contribution to Social Care Delivery Services.
- Mary Hill Convent School, Ibadan-Academic Development Merit award.
- Federation of Ibadan Students Union (FIBSU)-Contribution to the progress and people of Ibadan.
- Ibadan Bishop Philips Academy Old Student Awards-Contribution to the renovation of the school.
- Grand Patron of Man O’ War Oyo State Command for promotion of peace and unity within the community.
Makinde lives in Ibadan, Oyo State and is married to Tamunominini. They have three children.
References[change | change source]
- Information on Makon group Limited, founded by Seyi Makinde- http://www.makon-group.com/
- Seyi Makinde inaugurates campaign team - http://tribune.com.ng/news/news-headlines/item/2443-gov-aspirant-seyi-makinde-inaugurates-campaign-team/2443-gov-aspirant-seyi-makinde-inaugurates-campaign-team
- Seyi Makinde assisted the people of Apete Community in Ibadan, Oyo State - http://tribune.com.ng/news/community-news/item/9712-electricity-apete-residents-seek-makinde-s-assistance
- Political statement made by Seyi Makinde on better governance in Oyo State - http://www.alarinkaagbaye- tourismmagazine.com/index.php/features/interviews/item/989-i-will-ensure-radical-separation-from-the-past-seyi-makinde#.U7hOC2twZqA
- Donation of 65Kw turbine - http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/pdp-chieftain-lifts-ibadan-community-with-65kw-turbine/99197/
- On education, donation of Laboratory - http://www.punchng.com/education/makon-lifts-unilag-with-plc-laboratory/
- Seyi Makinde receives award - http://manowarnigeria.blogspot.com/