Harper at a 2007 SAG Foundation brunch
|Spouse(s)||Richard Schaal (1964-1978)|
Tony Cacciotti (1987-present)
Valerie Harper (b. August 22, 1939) is an American movie and television actress. She is best known for playing Rhoda Morgenstern on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and starring in the sitcom Valerie. She also does stage acting. She began her career as a dancer and chorus girl on Broadway in the late 1950s and early 1960s.
Personal life[change | change source]
She was born in Suffern, New York. Harper is Wendy Schaal's former step-mother. She was married to Richard Schaal from 1964 until they divorced in 1978. She has been married to Tony Cacciotti since 1987.
Illness[change | change source]
On March 11, 2013, Harper announced that she has an incurable brain tumor. Doctors say that she has less than three months to live.  Although the disease is incurable, her doctors said they were treating her with chemotherapy in an effort to slow its progress. On July 30, 2015, Harper was hospitalized in Maine after falling unconscious. Later on the 30th she was taken via medevac to a larger hospital for further treatment. She was later released.
References[change | change source]
- Archive of American Television oral history, February 26, 2009
- Dodd, Johnny; Tauber, Michelle (March 6, 2013). "Valerie Harper's Rare Cancer Explained". People. Retrieved March 7, 2013.
- Daley, Megan (July 30, 2015). "Valerie Harper's hospitalization prior to a Maine performance a 'precaution,' says the theater". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved July 30, 2015.
- "Valerie Harper In a Coma, Sources Say". Entertainment Weekly.com. July 30, 2015. Retrieved July 30, 2015.
- "Valerie Harper released from hospital". USA TODAY.
- "Valerie Harper not in coma, looking forward to returning to Ogunquit Playhouse".
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to Valerie Harper at Wikimedia Commons